Touchpanel + Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchpanel + Video

Forgive me if this has been posted or suggestions stated in another thread, but have been unable to find a really good answer about this. I currently have an Airpanel to use as a touchscreen in one room. This works good for the location its in. We are looking to add another in the kitchen, but wanting to replace a small Television that is in there. What I am looking for is a tablet PC or maybe just a monitor (I think I saw a Dell touchscreen pretty cheap) that can display video decently. I know on the tablet pc would have to rig up a tv card somehow, but just not sure how the video will look on say a Fujitsu Stylistic ST3500. Or would it be better to setup just a basic monitor like the Dell touchscreen and run it to a live computer (containing tv card) that would be sitting below it in the basement? Any feedback would be apprecited.

Thanks!

I've been contemplating the same sort of thing. The options I've seen so far include:

1) Touchscreen with TV tuner. One option is the Lilliput 8", available all over the place. There are larger ones available. You'd need a computer to run the touchscreen half.

2) Touchscreen without TV tuner. Put the TV tuner card in the PC.

3) Some other device (Airpanel?) to which Snapstream (BeyondTV) can stream a video signal.

I plan to mount my screen in a cabinet door, so the 8" Lilliput is not a bad choice for me. I'd rather have something more stand-alone, like an airpanel. Still researching my options, though, and I'd be interested to know what you've considered.

E. Lee Dickinson

Comment

CP,

I have a 3M M150 15" touch panel, similar to the Dell, installed in the kitchen and it's received a very high WAF. I went the route of installing a small PC with TV tuner in the basement which worked out nicely. I also added a Firefly remote so the wife and kids could easily use the TV tuner. So when the TV tuner isn't in use MainLobby is running to control HS, XM Radio, and our digital media collection.

Comment

Originally posted by LTkek1
        I've been contemplating the same sort of thing. The options I've seen so far include:

1) Touchscreen with TV tuner. One option is the Lilliput 8", available all over the place. There are larger ones available. You'd need a computer to run the touchscreen half.

2) Touchscreen without TV tuner. Put the TV tuner card in the PC.

3) Some other device (Airpanel?) to which Snapstream (BeyondTV) can stream a video signal.

I plan to mount my screen in a cabinet door, so the 8" Lilliput is not a bad choice for me. I'd rather have something more stand-alone, like an airpanel. Still researching my options, though, and I'd be interested to know what you've considered.

E. Lee Dickinson
        I went with a liliput touch screen it was ok for a while but was not quite up for the job the touch accuracy dropped of after a while (despite recalibrating) plus it is just not quite big enough Imoa you need at least 10" for our application. I now have a 12" touch screen monitor ( http://www.protouch-uk.co.uk/products/protouch_t12.html

Comment

I considered the Airpanel for TV too, but my understanding is that it does not get good quality video, or that it would be semi choppy since it would be using RDP to obtain the signal. I do have one Airpanel, I could try that out and see what it does
          Thanks for input on other options. I think I may be leaning towards a touchscreen monitor linked to a computer in the basement. I feel that will work better over all for running video from a tv card, main lobby, etc. But still open to other options

Comment

Streamed video takes a lot of network bandwidth. That and a lot of CPU on the source end doing the conversion from incoming video/audio to the stream. Even they you're still stuck with streamed video quality levels. For a tiny touchscreen it might be "too horrible" but opinions may vary...

The real issue is dealing with pulling the video in somewhere and getting that properly routed to a stream.

Using video on an RDP-based device like an Airpanel, VNC or other 'desktop session' device is unlikely to ever be all that great. There's just too many bits being pushed around to make it worthwhile, let alone practical.

That said, a windowed video source a la Crestron Isys would certainly be nifty, just not worth $2000 per touchscreen.

Comment

I'll be trying this using VLC. I'll report back when it's done.

Comment

Working...
              X