Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longhorn

I was just wondering what if anything anyone knew about the compadability with the new Windows OS that will be releasing soon (by soon I mean within the next decade :-p) I thought of this when I saw the Media center edition plugin.

Longhorn ('Vista') is available in Beta from MS...

Comment

A.K.A. "Longwait"

22v10

Comment

I am not complaining about the wait for vista/longhorn I am just wonding what it will do to the functionality of XP media center edition? will they have an upgrade for Media center ED too? (considering its just a port of xp with a easy to use GUI) in effect how is it going to affect Homseer media center plugin. I guess it wont effect it at all unless you are not running it (in other words move on to vista/longhorn) I was just wondering because I like the idea of the medai center and the plugin to homeseer makes it an even better sell. if they do away with media center edition with the new OS I will be annoyed. well that was a pointless rant to say that I hope they dont do away with media center.

Comment

OK, its a pretty safe bet there will be a media center addition of longhorn. I haven't heard anything about it so I don't know the timing, but I'll go out on a limb and stake my reputation (whatever that is worth ;-) that Media Center isn't going away.

Microsoft (probably correctly) sees the living room as the area with the biggest growth potential. They've done a pretty good job of owning the office and home office and they will continue to make gobs of cash there, but when your already 95% of the market there isn't all that much room for growth. Media Center and the XBox are MS's attempts to get out of the office get into other rooms of the house. I don't know we'll ever see a true consumer electronics branch of MS (as they normally don't like dealing with the hardware too much) but they are certainly trying to leverage thier PC dominance to gain a foothold in other parts of the house.

Media Center is a HUGE part of the plan and I think you'll only see expanded offerings in this area not less.

Comment

Originally posted by CaymanIslandCarpediem
            . . . that Media Center isn't going away.
            It certainly isn't going away, but I won't be surprised if it gets rolled in as an integral part of Longhorn/Vista.

Comment

Working...
            X