USB -> (4) Serial Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB -> (4) Serial Recommendations?

With the HA bug biting me pretty good the last couple of months, I am projecting the need for more serial ports. Can anyone recommend a USB -> 4 serial port option?

I've found the following site, which has a good list of options and decent prices.

http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html

Thanks,
    --P

Edgeport USB to serial off ebay is the best de3al and harware you can get.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I agree with Rupp (we generally do). It comes in 2,4,8 port versions. They (IOnetworks) also make an excellent USB hub so you can build up as many serial ports as you want.

You can assign the ports to any port number (special software they supply) that is not in use.

You can have it so the assigned ports are unique to the serial number of the adapter, or to its USB port. If you make it unique to the USB port, then replacing a failed unit is trivial PnP.

There was a sale of them on aBay a while ago, in fact one is for sale now at a $35 bid price. Better hurry, auction has a little over an hour to go.

I have 4 of them installed on various systems

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. . .I just noticed in another thread that someone mentioned Edgeport, but didn't realize just how popular it was.

--P

Comment

I'm using the Edgeport here as well, found an 8 port on ebay, $35 I believe. I'll probabably find another one as a backup just in case. Whenever you get a surge in the house, it always seems to take out the COM ports.
          HS: 2.5.0.60
          Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
          Plug-ins: MLHSPlugin|RCS Serial Thermostat|UltraLog|UltraMon|
          Misc: 303 Devices, 313 Events, 68+ Scripts

HSeer: 3.0.0.54
          Environment: Virtual XP as guest in VMWare Server running under Win 7
          Plug-ins: BLGData|BLRF|BLRadar|BLRandom|BLSpeech
          UltraM1G3|UltraECM3|UltraMon3|UPBSpud|Z-Wave
          Misc: 148 Devices, 116 Events, 9+ Scripts (so far, still converting)

Comment

Why not get a whole house surge protector?

Comment

A whole house surge suppressor even one that protects the incoming Telco lines will not do the trick.

In my system I have:

1) Twin Leviton whole house surge suppressors handling the main panels to handle voltage surges that come in on the Power lines.

2) ELK modules that handle surges on telco lines that feed the Homeseer system

3) Dataline surge suppressors on any RS232 or RS 422/485 run over 50 feet.

Remember that data lines are really nothing more than antennas. A lightning strike puts out an energy pulse (electrostatic) that can couple into these antennas and produce a little havoc. My first experience was with the Jandy aqualink PC interface system. I needed to install protection at the RS232 interface to solve the problems, on the RS422 side. I see much less pickup and coupling with RS422 and RS485 since they are a balanced line system as opposed to RS232 which is referenced to signal ground.

I do live in Lightning alley - Central FL. There is only one other location on the face of the earth (according to my research) located in the Fiji islands that has more air to ground lightning strikes than central FL.

Ditek makes some nice modules for data lines.

Comment

Working...
              X