More Good News on the INSTEON Front

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Good News on the INSTEON Front

SH has released the LampLinc V2 2-pin's and the ApplianceLinc 3-pin's today.

Rf / X10 ??

My question about these insteon devices is are they RF or X10. The smarthome site leaves you to believe they are both.. If so can the X10 be turned off ???

Comment

Originally posted by dem5867
      My question about these insteon devices is are they RF or X10. The smarthome site leaves you to believe they are both.. If so can the X10 be turned off ???
      INSTEON supports both RF and PLC (Powerline Carrier). The INSTEON devices Smarthome sells now are strictly PLC except for the SignalLinc RF. The SignalLinc RF acts as a phase couple for INSTEON signals.

INSTEON is backwards compatible with X10 however to take advantage of the INSTEON benefits (improved speed, security, reliability), the devices need to run in INSTEON mode. Thankfully, INSTEON devices can be run in both X10 and INSTEON mode simultaneously.
      Last edited by ; August 10, 2005, 02:18 PM.

Comment

How do you control them in Insteon mode?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp,

Right now, there really isn't any software that controls the Insteon PLC protocol (other than mControl - I haven't tested it). I know that the Elk will be adding Insteon support shortly and it's also in the plans for HomeSeer.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind (and in answer to dem5867's question), is that NO, the X10 cannot be turned off. The devices will always have 2-way X10 signals being sent as well.

So, to net it out, the Insteon devices provide 2-way status on both the X10 and Insteon PLC signals. There is no RF in any end devices and will not be for probably about a year or so.
          Martin Custer

Comment

Hum... So if your using both an X10 receiver and an Insteon receiver you'll get double signals? I wonder how HS is planning on handling this?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
              How do you control them in Insteon mode?
              Currently the ControLinc and the SwitchLinc's.

Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet
              One thing everyone needs to keep in mind (and in answer to dem5867's question), is that NO, the X10 cannot be turned off. The devices will always have 2-way X10 signals being sent as well.
              Really? I don't have an X10 signal analyzer but what does it send out if you don't program an X10 primary address into the device? They don't default to A1 like the old SH X10 devices. According to Smarthome, if you don't set an X10 address, it's disabled.
              Last edited by ; August 10, 2005, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Rupp,

I don't really think that it would be a big issue, HS could just ignore and not do anything with the extra signal.
                Martin Custer

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedOutlet
                  Rupp,

I don't really think that it would be a big issue, HS could just ignore and not do anything with the extra signal.
                  I guess it doesn't matter who sent an A1 on but it would seem to cause problems if the X10 interface receives it along with the Insteon interface. Oh well that's an HS issue to deal with.

Comment

See my post above. According to Smarthome, you can "disable" X10 on all INSTEON devices. I'm only taking the word of their support staff, so don't shoot the messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by AccessX10
                      See my post above. According to Smarthome, you can "disable" X10 on all INSTEON devices. I'm only taking the word of their support staff, so don't shoot the messenger.

That would make a lot of since and would stave off any problems.

Comment

So let me understand this correctly.

When mature, Insteon will communicate THREE ways, X10, Insteon PLC, and Insteon RF. That's pretty interesting.
                        John
                        Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                        Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                        HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                        Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Hmm, the instructions talk about "removing and X10 address" but I was thinking that was to get it to default - perhaps you can. That would be good.

I think you will still be dealing with signal absorbtion issues though. I'll do some more testing.

Rupp, not sure which protocols will be supported but I'm not sure if it makes sense, or is feasible, to have three. All I know is that they told be that in probably a year or so that the end devices would support Insteon RF signals.
                          Martin Custer

Comment

I was under the impression that the default setting for INSTEON modules did not include an X-10 address. When I first set them up (INSTEON mode only), straight out of the box, I never saw any X-10 traffic at the HS log. After I had the modules working with the ControLinc, I then assigned X-10 addresses into the INSTEON modules so that HS can control them and see the X-10 traffic which it now does.

My understanding, and what I was told from SmartHome was that the modules will absorb X-10 signals (like the 2-way X-10 modules do now) even if you are not using an X-10 address with them. So the more INSTEON modules you add to your setup, the weaker your X-10 signals are going to get.

The Pod

Comment

I think that's right.
                              Martin Custer

Comment

Working...
                              X