Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a Russound CAV Main Zones Dynamic: 2 rooms share same zone

Hello,
    I need members help here on this idea. Not sure if it has been discussed in the past. Here is the scenario-
    • I have 6 main zones in CAV (Not discussing A-Bus Subzones now)
    • 3 are assigned to different bedrooms 1 to kitchen, 1 to Study Room, 1 to Game
    • Guest Room is still unassinged as I consumed all 6 main zones.
    • When a Guest Comes for weekend stay, I want to assign one of the Bedroom zone to Guest Room via Touchscreen or some kind of push button.
    • So it will be like (Bedroom-->Guest Room)
    • When Guest leaves, I reassing back to Bedroom.
    I understand that I can change the cables from the back of CAV in closet and do manual assingment but I was hoping for an automated way using a touchscreen (cinemar) or something like it.

Technially all Speaker wires runs to CAV via speaker cable and all keypads runs to CAV via Cat 5.

To do speaker switching, I could use something like AB8SS so that with RS232 command, I can switch speaker from(Bedroom-->Guest Room). Please advise if its possible. http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html

Then to do the Keypad swithching, I am not sure what can be done.

Thanks, Shaurya

Originally posted by shaurya
    Hello,
    I need members help here on this idea. Not sure if it has been discussed in the past. Here is the scenario-
    • I have 6 main zones in CAV (Not discussing A-Bus Subzones now)
    • 3 are assigned to different bedrooms 1 to kitchen, 1 to Study Room, 1 to Game
    • Guest Room is still unassinged as I consumed all 6 main zones.
    • When a Guest Comes for weekend stay, I want to assign one of the Bedroom zone to Guest Room via Touchscreen or some kind of push button.
    • So it will be like (Bedroom-->Guest Room)
    • When Guest leaves, I reassing back to Bedroom.
    I understand that I can change the cables from the back of CAV in closet and do manual assingment but I was hoping for an automated way using a touchscreen (cinemar) or something like it.

Technially all Speaker wires runs to CAV via speaker cable and all keypads runs to CAV via Cat 5.

To do speaker switching, I could use something like AB8SS so that with RS232 command, I can switch speaker from(Bedroom-->Guest Room). Please advise if its possible. http://www.hacs.com/ab8ss.html

Then to do the Keypad swithching, I am not sure what can be done.

Thanks, Shaurya
    Shaurya,
    Probably the easiest way to solve this is to add one A-bus keypad as a subzone of one of the bedrooms. You could then play the same audio source in the guestroom, bedroom, or both. The A-bus keypad does have a pre-amp output, so if the small 7-w amp built in isn't enough, you could run a pair of RG6 cables (or perhaps some shielded microphone wire) from the keypad back to the closet for external amplication. As for "switching" the CAV6.6 CAT5 keypad on the fly, I'm not sure if this can be done, i.e., how the CAV6.6 will respond to plugging and unplugging keypads while powered up.

You should probably contact Russound tech support. I have found them to be extremely helpful in the past.

Regards,
    Don

Comment

Can CAV send video to sub-zones as well?

Originally posted by dschoppe
      Shaurya,
      I'm not sure if this can be done, i.e., how the CAV6.6 will respond to plugging and unplugging keypads while powered up.
      You have a good point. never thought about it. Any idea if its possible to add a local source input on any any of the main zones of CAV. I understand that its quite possible for the Sub zones (A-Bus). Not sure if it is doable for main zones?

Also do you happen to know if I get video switched on these A-Bus sub zones. So for eg. Master BR has zone 1 with RG6 terminated with RCA and Master bath has A-Bus Subzone of Zone 1 as well as a RG6 terminated with RCA. Now if I split the video coming out of CAV zone1 using a regular RG6 splitter, Can I get same video and Audio at both places?

Thanks,
      Shaurya

Comment

You have a good point. never thought about it. Any idea if its possible to add a local source input on any any of the main zones of CAV. I understand that its quite possible for the Sub zones (A-Bus). Not sure if it is doable for main zones?
        By "local" source, do you mean that you want to connect a source component directly to a keypad that is located in the listening/viewing room? If so, then I don't think this is possible. The Abus keypads receive audio over CAT5 (together with control signals) from the CAV6.6, and then the abus keypad amplifies it for direct speaker connection, or you can tap into the line level audio (screw terminals) on the abus keypad for external amplification. The UNO keypads do not receive any audio / video signals at all I believe. These signals remain at the CAV6.6 which provides amplification, or line level pre-amp outputs as well.

Also do you happen to know if I get video switched on these A-Bus sub zones. So for eg. Master BR has zone 1 with RG6 terminated with RCA and Master bath has A-Bus Subzone of Zone 1 as well as a RG6 terminated with RCA. Now if I split the video coming out of CAV zone1 using a regular RG6 splitter, Can I get same video and Audio at both places?

Thanks,
        Shaurya
        Think of an Abus subzone as an extension of the main CAV6.6 zone. It has independent power (on/off) and volume control, but no independent source selection. So, it doesn't matter if you select a source from the Abus keypad or at the UNO keypad for the "parent" zone. Both "areas" will play that source, and if the source component uses video, it will appear at the RCA video output for that main zone on the back of the CAV6.6.

No video actually travels to the abus keypads or the UNO keypads for that matter. I don't think you would have a problem splitting the composite video for the main zone on the back of CAV6.6 and running RG6 to a TV in the main zone and another in the subzone. I probably wouldn't split composite video more than once though, and you may want to first double check with Russound just to be safe.

One other thing to note about the abus keypads. These (at least the AKP2's that I'm using) only allow selection of the first four sources. In order to listen to the 5th or 6th sources in the subzone, you'll need to make the source selection at the "parent" zone UNO keypad.

Don

Comment

Working...
        X