Any way to make this PC auto power on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any way to make this PC auto power on?

Yesterday our power was out for about 3 hours. My little UPS only lasts about 20 minutes. When the power returns, the PC stays off until I press the power button. One of my previous PCs (a Gateway) would turn itself on when it got power.

Short of buying a super-duper UPS, is there any way to make this Compaq S4000NX turn itself ON when it gets power?

Thanks

http://search.hp.com/gwuseng/query.html?qt=s4000nx

This is not a problem I have ever come across, although obviously some computers will not re-power up after a power cut.

Try checking the BIOS to see if there is an option in there for auto power up. If you have the Motherboards manual check if there is a jumper configuration for it. Failing that you would probably have to modify the "on/off" circuits on either the power supply or motherboard.
    sigpic
    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

There should be an option in your BIOS for what to do after a power failure. My Dell computer has several options for what to do after a power failure. One of the options is to always power up. Check your BIOS screens; there is probably a section about power options.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the bios tonight.

Robert

Comment

Robert,

If you don't find the options in your BIOS settings, you may want to check on Compaq's web site to see if there is a newer BIOS version than what you have installed.

If so, installing the newer version may provide the power settings?

Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
          Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

This came up a few months ago. Somebody said to short the two wires that go to the APX power switch (or just put a jumper where the power wires come off of the motherboard).

Before doing it, unplug your computer, press and hold the power button, and plug it in while holding the button.

~Bill

Comment

Robert:
              Can you provide the system model number? I have searched Compaq's information library and cannot find a match based on the information you gave.
              I know that Compaq's Deskpro series had the ability to start up at power on. The older models had a jumper switch pack which provided this function. There is usually a decal inside the housing of the system box that describes its use. The newer systems provided this ability through the bios as mentioned earlier. So if you can't find it in the bios, open up the box and look at the backside of the lid.

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks...F10 on boot to get to bios and there it was....power fail settings. Works perfect. Thanks!!

Comment

Wouldn't this be the scenerio then if you loose power for say 4 hours?
                  1. UPS kicks in
                  2. UPS tells the PC to turn itself off after running on the UPS for 3.5 hours.
                  3. BIOS tells the PC to turn itself on (because the UPS is providing the power)
                  Last edited by ; August 18, 2005, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by christopherhallowell
                    Wouldn't this be the scenerio then if you loose power for say 4 hours?
                    1. UPS kicks in
                    2. UPS tells the PC to turn itself off after running on the UPS for 3.5 hours.
                    3. BIOS tells the PC to turn itself on (because the UPS is providing the power)
                    Yes, that sounds a great scenario.

Erm, whats a UPS?
                    sigpic
                    A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Gogs - UPS - Uninteruptable Power Supply - Big "battery", constantly charged from the mains - pc runs from "battery", power goes off, pc runs for a while - then when the battery is about to run out it can send a signal to the pc (normally over a serial port) to shut itself down.

Here's the rub - if that's the way it' s configured (i.e. the ups tells the pc to shutdown) then it probably won't restart since the power hasn't failed - it's just been told to shutdown - easy to test - set the bios, shutdown, pull the plug, reinsert - if it boots great if not then back to the drawing board.

Would be interested to know the actual outcome of this if anyone has a ups to test against - it's on my list for stuff to buy when I see one cheap enough.

Malarcy

Comment

I know when my power goes out and the UPS runs for a while and then tells the PC to shutdown, mine starts back up automatically when the power is restored.

There is a setting in my BIOS which allows me to do it.
                        Cheers,
                        Bob
                        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Yup - that's how mine works too. If your's isn't operating this way but the bios has the appropriate options, maybe the "power" options of the PC need to be changed.

Comment

It was just a question for me - never really thought about it until I started typing the post - I guess the pc power supply detects power going away even if the machine was put to sleep deliberately, so waking up makes sense - a follow on question for those with this setup - do you shutdown when the battery runs low or do you hibernate?

Malarcy

Comment

Hard Down

I didn't and still do not have an extra serial port for the UPS to single the computer to shutdown so I will go down HARD if it ever has the power off for ~45 minutes. I run through the UPS only the computer and the DSL modem. The DSL so that I don't loose the IP address and go blind when I'm at my place of employment (not WORK - That's at home). I live in an okay power reliability area and if I get an outage it only lasts a minute or two.

BTW I have a big UPS on the entertainment center that will allow it to ride though about 7 minutes when running. It's funny when your sitting watching TV and the automation system comes on and states "Power outage". Look around and all the other houses are black and mine has a blue flashing glow from the TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X