Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any of you guys use a small form factor PC for HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any of you guys use a small form factor PC for HS?

I found this and it seems like a good deal and I need a small PC to fit in my closet. Is this a fair deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...095&CatId=1344
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

That's what I use..
    After running HS on a laptop and running it to it's architectual limit, I went to a Compaq Deskpro SFF 450 PII and now just recently to to a Compaq SFF 800 PIII. Again, I wanted more memory. I chose the SFF because they are small, quiet and are generally low power consumers.

It's great for HS.

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I am running a cube for a media center computer. They can be hard to keep cool. Mine is in a small area, I leave the cover off.

~Bill

Comment

Same thing I've used for secondary servers and test boxes. Only real limitation with these is the number of hard drives you can fit into the case. Expansion slots had been a limiting factor but with almost everything now avaialble via usb that's not an issue any more.

Todd

Comment

No OS

I noticed it does not come w/an OS License.

Comment

I use a Cisnet Small form factor PC for HTPC. It has been on non stop for 1.5 years. I got it at Comp Usa at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by mbreeden
              I noticed it does not come w/an OS License.
              I have a MSDN license so that's not a problem. I think I will pull the trigger. Anyone had any experience buying refurb stuff?

Comment

my only question with this is the heat and noise factor... P4 3.0GHz is a hot chip, wonder how loud it is?

Comment

those fast/hot pentium 3GHz and AMD 3000+ use a lot of AC power too, eh? Like 60W or so, plus fans?

I measured my AMD 1300 at 30W on 110VAC without monitor.

Wish someone made a PC with the laptop mobile CPU chip but in a small case format rather than in a costly laptop. Those CPUs power-down agressively.

But maybe certain of the latest CPUs do also, to keep the heat down. I have read some about this in the mobo formums and at ExtremeTech.com.

Comment

I just purchased a Pentium-M 1.7 GHz, A-Open motherboard and 60 GB 2.5" drive to setup and run HS 2.0.

I still need to order a 12 Vdc power supply with 95% efficiency so that I can run it directly from a 5 Amp power supply/battery combination to work as a very efficient power supply-UPS and should provide about 3 - 4 hours of running with the 12 amp battery alone.

The computer will draw about 30 - 35 watts and run very cool compared to the current P4 2.8 GHz that I am currently using for HS 1.7

For all practical purposes, this is a laptop, but without the LCD screen and with a mini ITX motherboard.

I will let you know how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by alevey
                      my only question with this is the heat and noise factor... P4 3.0GHz is a hot chip, wonder how loud it is?
                      Aaron ,
                      For me this isn't a problem. I have all my PC's in a closet up stairs so I wouldn't here it if it were a leaf blower. He at work we use the same form as the one I posted but they are Compaq units and they hardly make a sound. That is what I really would like to find cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                        I have a MSDN license so that's not a problem. I think I will pull the trigger. Anyone had any experience buying refurb stuff?
                        My last notebook and last 3 desktop systems have all been refurbished units. Never had a problem. That is what I look for these days.

bt

Comment

Rupp,
                          look into this one... pretty nice, has a bit better specs (80GB drive & gig ethernet) and I like Compaq better then IBM personally.

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/stor...&item=COM10658

Comment

Rupp, I need one of those for customer let me know if you order it. I do have one concern and that is expandable memory. I really lik eto have 1024mb ram instead of the 512. I noticed it helps with fast smooth speech. Do you know if that pc can be upgraded?
                            Last edited by ; August 18, 2005, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pp
                              Rupp, I need one of those for customer let me know if you order it. I do have one concern and that is expandable memory. I really lik eto have 1024mb ram instead of the 512. I noticed it helps with fast smooth speech. Do you know if that pc can be upgraded?
                              PP,
                              The detailed specs state:
                              Memory Slots (Total) = 2
                              Memory Slots (Available) = 1 so another 512 could be added.

Comment

Working...
                              X