Finally found a one wire capable water meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found a one wire capable water meter

I have searched high and low and finally found a water meter that would allow me to monitor my water usage to the gallon. I just ordered it so I will report back when I get it in and installed.

http://www.jerman.com/dljmeter.html

-Rupp

How come "abbreviated" is such a long word?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I look forward to hearing about it.

Comment

Rupp,
      Which model number did you order? I assume one with a Reed switch? Were you going to plug the reed switch output to a 1 Wire device? Which one?

I am in the process of running a fresh water line to my barn. The underground portion is done already (4 ft down, 200 ft). I bought the copper to connect to my domestic water well pressure tank. I was interested in monitoring the water in case something in that 200 ft trench breaks! (not that I question my workmanship...)

My water line is 1 inch. So I was thinking about the DLJ100C.

Are you going to write a script to monitor? I assume the Reed switch will have pretty fast resolution when the flow is running (considering this thing is suppose to be accurate to the 1/10 of the gallon). Any thoughts if the 1 wire will keep up accurately? For my purposes, I am more worried about the first 1/10 when the barn is unattended. My Napco monitors the barn's occupied status via Doomotion.
      David

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidL:
        Rupp,
        Which model number did you order? DLJ75C 3/4" I assume one with a Reed switch? Were you going to plug the reed switch output to a 1 Wire device? Which one? I have an old Dallas rain guage counter board I'm going to use but you can also use the one-wire counter board from AAG

I am in the process of running a fresh water line to my barn. The underground portion is done already (4 ft down, 200 ft). I bought the copper to connect to my domestic water well pressure tank. I was interested in monitoring the water in case something in that 200 ft trench breaks! (not that I question my workmanship...)

My water line is 1 inch. So I was thinking about the DLJ100C.

Are you going to write a script to monitor? I will simply graph the data from the one wire sensor I assume the Reed switch will have pretty fast resolution when the flow is running (considering this thing is suppose to be accurate to the 1/10 of the gallon).Actaully its only one-gallon accurate Any thoughts if the 1 wire will keep up accurately? For my purposes, I am more worried about the first 1/10 when the barn is unattended. My Napco monitors the barn's occupied status via Doomotion.
        David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Rupp

Comment

It is the same 1-wire interface as a rain gauge with software to recognize 1 gallon counts rather than 0.01 inch counts. jjware sells one that uses as DS2423 (counter) and there are likely other sources. If flow rates are sufficiently low then a DS2406 may work, but is not a good practice if you care about the reliability of the reading.

I ordered one as well and expect to inteface it with a DS2423. mcsTemperature will be updated to recognize this new toy.

Comment

I am very interested in the results. The idea that I have for this is to use it to check upon the throughput on each of my 4 lines that water our plants in the garden, each apprx 300 feet long. This could help detect a water usage different than the to be expected, i.e. leak or stop.

Comment

I really wanted a 1/10th gallon resolution to be able to detect leaks better. I found another company but I haven't called them yet.

-Rupp

Comment

Rupp,

Did you ask DLJ about more resolution when you ordered yours? According to their website, they offer special pulse rates of up to 1000 pulses per gallon (1/1000 gallon resolution). They didn't indicate how much the special pulse rate may change the price or what models it is available on. The stock (no pulser) DLJ75 is listed at $44.95, how much extra for your "C" version with pulser?

How fast can those 1-wire counters count accurately?
                At 20 GPM with 1/100 gall resolution, you are looking at 33 puleses per second
                At 15 GPM with 1/10 gall resolution, it is only 2.5 pulses per second.

http://www.jerman.com/dljcmeters.html

Comment

I paid $99 plus $10 dollars shipping. Jon stated it would be an extra $50 for the 1/10th of a gallon model.

-Rupp

Comment

The meter data mentioned it had a magnet, so you might could use a hall effect sensor to register pulses.
                    Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

A DS2423 counter/reed switch should be able to do better than 600 Hz which is more than is needed by their most precise water meter.

Comment

First question is what is the longest distance one can run a one-wire run? I was going to install the meter near the house and just (duh) realized that if I so this I would miss the water usage of my sprinkler system. So now if I want to monitor this I will have to mount the meter out near the street. This will mean a run of approx. 130 feet of cat5.

Second question. Do they make direct burial cat5 wiring.

Third question. Should I mount the counter near the water meter or somewhere in the house? I'm very electronically challenged and what does not make since to me is if I mounted it nearer the house somewhere how would that small read switch on the meter "send" the signal over 100 feet?

Last question. I want to use my temp05 meter to monitor the meter. I have it check the sensors every 5 minutes. Having ever used a rain counter module with the temp05, how does it keep up with the counts? What I mean is if the counter sees 30 counts in 5 minutes then how does it store this between temp05 pollings?

-Rupp

If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Comment

Rupp

I have a one-wire run just under 150' and another right at 100', both on cat5 and both working fine.

Yes they do make direct burial cat5, I am using that on my soil temperature.

I would think you you could mount it anywhere, I would keep it near your tomp05. The reed switch, I would guess, just opens and closes a circuit.

SteveD

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve D:
                            Rupp

I have a one-wire run just under 150' and another right at 100', both on cat5 and both working fine.

Yes they do make direct burial cat5, I am using that on my soil temperature.

I would think you you could mount it anywhere, I would keep it near your tomp05. The reed switch, I would guess, just opens and closes a circuit.

SteveD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Soil Tempature?? (Be still my heart!)
                            Please tell me, who, what, and how!

Thank you.

One Wife, a buncha computers, a buncha HA stuff, and 10 cats. All managed with a grapefruit sized brain!
                            Hmmmm......

Comment

If your serious, you can monitor soil temperature using a one wire temp sensor, and any software that reads a one wire network.

-Rupp

If a person with multiple personalities threatens suicide, is that considered a hostage situation?

Comment

Working...
                              X