Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I go for Geovision card for Live VideoStreaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I go for Geovision card for Live VideoStreaming?

I set my objective to buy PC+HS+Geovision Card to achieve a stable configuration to control a location 300 miles distance (i.e. not to step into the car to reboot a PC): simple stuff and also up-to-16-cameras remote video streaming...and when the 3-for-1 ninja returns, also with pan-tilt...

I saw the several discussions on what would be the best or most stable configuration for Video streaming. Many simple webcam programs out there and some common opinions. I started to think that the Geovision Card + SW could be what I am looking for. Can we stress-test this scenario?

Question to the Geovision Users: what Geovision card do you have (I saw that Alfonso got the GV650) and how often do you need to reboot your machine when you have the system on video streaming mode? Are you happy with it and/or would you have bought something different if you knew what you know now?

thanks

380 MHz, Ocelot, VCR, 2x751, 2x501, 4 ActiveEye, 2 XCAM2, 1 IR Cam, 3 PH, 4 keychain, 3 stick-a-switch, 5 AM, 4 LM, 3 WS, PC01, univ mod, flash

One good feature of the geovision card is that it will reboot your PC for you when the PC hangs. I disabled the feature because it was a bit too sensitive, it would reboot even when the PC was busy and not completely hung up.

I have been happy with the GV-600, 4 camera system, had it about a year. I am definitely suffering from a slow PC, it is a P3-733 and the CPU is an almost 100% all of the time between the Geovision software and Homeseer, but it is still pretty stable. I would go with the fastest frame rate you can get, if you can spend the $$. I have not seen any PC based systems so far that I would rather have, but I have not really been looking.

HomeSeer Status

Comment

Where have you guys purchased your Geovison Cards? I have one.. I think that I got from 123cctv.com. They sell is as a "Digicam". From what I can tell the card I have is a Geovision 650. I've been running mine for about a month now on a 2.4 Ghz P4, I've rebooted the machine for software installs, but not specifically because of video issues. Seem pretty stable.

Comment

So far, I have been unable to find a way to talk to the Geovision card with the webcam plug-in currently in beta testing. It is a very high end card that apparently does not support Video for Windows/DirectX, so supporting it would require some code very specific for it in the plug-in. Even if we decided to do that, it would not happen until I got the rest of the plug-in's features done and some of the higher priority feature requests implemented.

Thus, while it appears to be a very fine product, please be aware that you will need to shop for your webcam software to be compatible with it.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
        HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

It comes with streaming/motion capture software which I have found is quite good. What it is lacking is an API to be able to report motion and manually trigger recording, say on a motion detector. You can get this functionality triggered by an external interface if you spend more money on the GV/IO card, but it is too bad that you cannot interface with homeseer directly using scripting, even if it is running on the same computer.

HomeSeer Status

Comment

Rick, although it will take a while until I buy a new PC and the -as you say- high end Video Card, let me add myself to the series of requests that you have received now for the Plug-In.

I can tell you that as soon as you got this plug-in I commit to buy Homeseer.

For me the only important thing on Video Streaming is stability. Several of our friends on the board are having a somewhat nice solution as far as I could test and see, but this Geovision stands out with a difference.

380 MHz, Ocelot, VCR, 2x751, 2x501, 4 ActiveEye, 2 XCAM2, 1 IR Cam, 4 PH, 5 keychain, 3 stick-a-switch, 5 AM, 5 LM, 3 WS, PCS05, univ mod, P-Flash, 11 Door-sensors, DS7000, GlassBreak, MS10a

Comment

A user has been communicating with Geovision, and they do not want to provide a standard Windows Camera Interface in their driver as it will expose their "proprietary technology" or something like that.

If we do choose to do what it takes to support proprietary hardware, then it won't be until after all of the features of the plug-in are done and working. Rich agrees with that and he has yet another brand of 4-input capture card that does not have a Windows standard interface.

And yes, that capture board is very high end. You won't find it in most retail stores, it does 60fps whereas most retail products only go to 30 if they are good, it has 4 inputs where most have 1 or 3 consisting of 3 different types, it has motion detection built in and some models have signal input leads. Definitely not your everyday card. The other sure sign is that they are not providing standard Windows drivers, so they must be confident they can sell in a market requiring proprietary or specialized software.

Regards,

Rick Tinker
              HomeSeer Technologies

Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

I guess I'm lucky. In addition 60 fps does me no good over the web. I simply do not have that kind of band width.

-Rupp
                Isn't Disney World a people trap operated by a mouse?
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rick, how do I need to read you posting: 6 months?

I guess that I like stability and predictability and would be surprised if I were alone on this.

Rupp: pls see Alfonso's solution, I am sold on it, even if it costs a bit more: it's more stable. In your solution I was totally surprised on the good picture quality of your xcam2 streaming.

380 MHz, Ocelot, VCR, 2x751, 2x501, 4 ActiveEye, 2 XCAM2, 1 IR Cam, 4 PH, 5 keychain, 3 stick-a-switch, 5 AM, 5 LM, 3 WS, PCS05, univ mod, P-Flash, 11 Door-sensors, DS7000, GlassBreak, MS10a

Comment

Since the Geovision people don't seem to be interested in sharing the operating details of their card, you are probably going to have to live with what you are supplied from them. Winnov makes a 4 port capture card that might be of interest. Winnov provides a SDK for their products, so applicatin development may be easier. It has 4 capture chips on it, so will probably act more like 4 seperate capture cards. If the geovision has a single BT chip on it, then it probably has no more capture functionality than other single chip BT cards that can be had for less than $50. You may want to detail the specific functions you want/expect from the geovision card. Some may be possible, and some may be impossible.
                    Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

I am currently working with a couple of companys on a 4-Port card that my work for our needs. I will post more information when I get it.

Comment

My ideal picture is to have a solution that allows for stable video streaming, 1-16 camera switching and pan-tilt.

With stability I mean: that it works and keeps working, for a long while: months up to a year without rebooting (vacation home).

I will then hook HS up with DSL and then allows me to see what's going on, change cam, move cam, and get an idea on status of house. Even put a camera on the watermeter (or install RUPPs device for water-meter).

I saw several postings on various boards indicating that they went the extra mile to test 5-10 different web-cam solutions but that they had to continue testing, sometimes getting to one favourite...

My ideal is to go for 1 that works, not spend a year on tinkering, and leave it that way. The idea on the hobby is for me to get a real use out of it and enjoy the ride...

Comment

I know that EVERBODY and there brother has checked out 5 different Company's Products and beleave it or not that is about ALL of them. During me search I have found over 25 different companys selling 5 different products all stating that they made it! When I purchased the card under a 14 day demo period I have found them to be the same card and software as others with there name on it. There is probley 4 big players out there. DVR, DSR, Geovision and Watchdog. Watchdog provides no I/O and no SDK to allow custom intergration. Geovision has come down BIG in price but also allows no custom intergration. DSR allows custom intergration but is a bit buggy! It only works as they say when installed in a computer with a P4 Intel motherboard and ATI Video card otherwise you only get .9 fps remote viewing with no overlays. The DVR allows custom intergration and is not as picky with the motherboards and video cards.

Comment

Toymaster this is the first time that I see someone going behind the video streaming scenes, great to learn this!

On this DVR card: is this giving good stability, and: how is this priced compared to the Geovision.

What is your observation on comparison between DVR and Geovision? Is Geovision indeed "top-of-the-bill"? I am a pragmatic guy, juste started to test in guest mode with the peers on the board and came to this observation....
                            Maybe I will just take for granted that it's not totally integrated, it works even when not seamlessly integrated.

thanks

Comment

napoleon3rd, most of what you describe probably can be done with a single input capture card instead of a 4 input card. The difficult issue is that generally one program must be capable of doing all of the video actions that are desired. With most capture drivers, once one program is using the driver, other programs can't acess the capture driver. Video switching and pan/tilt generally can be easily handled externally to the video capturing process. If you ae going to use the box in a remote location, then you could start working on ways to harden and control the remote box. Getting the computer to reboot and recover from a remote location is an interesting task.
                              Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Working...
                              X