Auto Login in Win XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Login in Win XP

In Windows W2K you had the option to disable the need for a user to login. I'm building a new replacement server with Windows XP and I can't seem to find the equivalent of the "Users must ener a user namd and password to use this computer option" anywhere. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Frank Conforti

Search Microsoft's web site for TWEAKUI. This is a little utility of theirs that allows you to customize a bunch of windows settings. Including auto login.

The Pod

Comment

TweakUI is part of the powertoys, you can find them at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp , and this will indeed fix your issue, I used it to auto login my dvr.

HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
      (aka xplosiv)
      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Under Control Panel, User Accounts - I turned off the Guest Account and eliminated all other accounts except my Administrator Account. I blanked out the password for my account and left the Welcome Screen on. I boot up directly into Windows now with out the login dialogue box.

Mark
        Mark

Comment

here's what I used. It makes my unattended PC wint XP auto-boot, auto-login, etc. So programs like HS don't have to be NT Services.
          Attached Files

Comment

The HS knowledgebase article has the details, its just a command.

Autostarting HomeSeer Article

-Rich

HomeSeer Technologies LLC
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks! Worked like a charm. Now if there was a way I could get XP to recognize my Appletalk network printer...(Microsoft giveth and they taketh away).

--fjc

Comment

Are you saying that that will automatically sign you in with your password? That would be great. I couldn'd just remove the password. I have 10 computers here and am always using the remote desktop connection to get from one machine to another.

thanks,

Martin

Martin Custer
                Martin@AutomatedOutlet.com
                www.AutomatedOutlet.com
                Authorized HomeSeer Distributor
                Martin Custer

Comment

I use TweakUI and it does autolog me in and I can still connect using the password from any computer on my network. I also use Netmeeting to connect using the same password.

-Rupp
                  Why don't they just make mouse-flavored cat food?

Comment

Yes, the posted procedure will log in any user you want automatically. No tweakui needed! (sorry Rupp )

-Rich

Comment

I didn't read that article, but if it works like tweakui and logs you in then its better because it saves a download. On point though, TweakUI has a load of other utilities/options that come in handy from time to time.

-Rupp

Comment

Yes Rupp, I have used tweakUI in the past, and it does have some nifty features. Is there one especially for XP? Last I looked, they did not recommend using tweakui for XP.

-Rich

Comment

I just loaded the one I use on Win2k and it works just fine.

-Rupp

Comment

This version shows up on the downloads for Xp and I have used it on XP and server 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp
                            Power toys

Jeff

Comment

definitely use the powertoys for XP, it has been out for a while now, if you use the windows 2000 one on XP, you might screw things up , since all it does is modify registry settings.

[This message was edited by Dan (xplosiv) on Sat, 06 December 2003 at 10:59 PM.]
                              HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
                              (aka xplosiv)
                              Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Working...
                              X