I AM VERY VERY VERY SAD!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I AM VERY VERY VERY SAD!!!!

Well, my weekend was a complete loss. Our family lost everything in our basement to 12 inches of water. I lost my entire home theater room, which contained a 100" screen and a front projector as well as all of my speakers. Sadly, I also lost my computer which means I lost everything I had written for my home automation for HS. I did not have a backup of anything. I also lost pictures of my kids all the way back to their birth, as well as all our personal stuff that cannot be replaced.

Of course my phones did not work when I got home to this mess because I have them going thru my HS PCI Voice modem, which is screwed.

I am going to see if I can take my hard drive in and have it recovered. I am not too optimistic that it is going to work tho. I tried hooking it up to my dads PC and it would not boot it. It did recognize it tho, but could not get to the data.

I do not know what I am going to do. There was roughly $40,000 - $50,000 damage.

I am feeling very very sick right now. I had so much code and scripts written for HS, it is unbelievable what I have lost. It is very hard to get used to turning on lights myself.

A very sad Blade signing out

Cheers,
    Bob

------------------------------
    Pentium 4 - 2 GHz
    1 GB DDR RAM @433Mhz
    Homeseer and Homeseer Phone
    DooMotion Plug-in (love it)
    HomeSeer PCI Voice Modem
    MR26A with plug-in
    Media Player Plug-in (works great)
    Gameport Plugins (awesome for monitoring doors and windows)
    AT&T Natural Voices
    Neospeech Voices
    Whole House Audio
    More to come....
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

So where did the water come from? You may be able to help the rest of us avoid the same problem. Good luck with the rebuilding. Remember, it's only money (well, except for the kids pictures... that sucks).

Comment

A time time like this it hard to know what to say. You still have us here to help you get your scripts and HomeSeer back and going but I know this is a hugh blow and will be hard to recover from. Don't give up.

-Rupp
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

12" of water? unless your computer was laying on it's side on the floor, I don't see how it could affect the HD. I have recovered many bad HD's before, yours sounds like a pretty easy recovery from what you describe. Was the HD in contact with the water at all?

Sorry to hear about your loss, I remember last time my basement got flooded with just a few inches, I put all my computer equipment and books in rubbermaid bins now, and backup to remote servers. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

---
        Do you cocoon?
        http://www.CocoonTech.com
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)
        Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Bob, I know that we had a real spring thaw over the past week, but hadn't heard of any local flooding problems. I hope you'll be ok. Thank goodness for insurance in cases like this! I hope it works out alright for you.

On the hard-drive problem.....I konw there are places that specialize in recovery of data. I don't have names but could track some down if it will help. Let's hope that it's just a case of drying it all out.

I think we can all learn from this. I am religious about ensuring I have backups, but I don't take these offsite as we all know that we should. I am going to cut some CD's tonight!

Best of luck, and let us know where we can help.

Comment

I have to add my condolences, Bob. Losses like that are disheartening at best. Hope you can make a full recovery on the replacable items. Let us know what we can do to help.

As far as hard drive recovery, I had a failure in December and my investigation led to costs of approx. US$400-600 to recover my 20gig unit. I had CD backups but discovered the media was bad in places, so the backup was corrupt. I chose to rebuild from scratch instead, which gave me the excuse to clean up a lot of crap that had accumulated over the years.

Wish you the best of luck in recovering.

- Gordon

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, easy, and cheap!
            |
            | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
            HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

Bob,
              My English is not good enough to describe what I feel for you right now.
              Don't give up on your hard drive yet. As Dan said, if it was not submerged in water, try to mount it as a second drive (not first), set automatic detection in setup and you should be able to retrieve your data.
              Good luck and remember - we all are here for you.

Marty

Comment

I also send my sympathy for your loss. I also am looking around my basement to make sure there is nothing laying low that if lost could not be recovered. As for the hard drive I would have suggested that if it got wet that you would have waited till it was thoughly dry before trying anything. In fact it would have been good to remove the covers as water would have gotten trapped inside. If it didn't get wet then it should be ok. Let us know some more details and maybe we could lend some more ideas.

John
                John

Comment

Bob,

I'm with all the others here offering help if and when you need it. I'm really sorry to hear what happened.

Comment

I am really sorry this happened. Any tips for the rest of us to prevent or protect againsted such a disaster?

Comment

... as well as copied ti to CD.

-Rupp
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

http://www.absoluteautomation.com/waterbug/200/

Stuart

Comment

I had a house that was near what was once a large river and is now basically a creek. I suspect that the ground gets quite saturated in the area and twice the basement in the house flooded.

The first time, my homeowners policy would not cover the sump pump overflow (it was on but water was coming in faster than it could pump). I paid $25 per year to have sump pump coverage and the following month we had a 100 year flood and I got 18" of water in my basement from the sump pump overflow. I COULD VISUALLY SEE THE WATER RISING! Insurance covered it (and the damage from the first occurrence) and I remodelled. Then I moved.

So, check your homeowner's policy carefully.

I moved only a half mile away but it is at a slightly higher elevation. I still a sump pump system but it would only present a problem if it were to remain off for more than a day after a heavy rain. I have a generator but it requires manual connection. I have looked at automating it but that would cost $500 and electricity only goes out several times a year for about an hour at the most.

All my HA stuff is three feet or higher from the ground but I would also be sad because of other stuff that is not so high off the floor.

Jim Doolittle
                          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                          My Hardware & Software

Comment

Bob,

Sorry to hear that but I think your hard drive data is safe. Assuming you're running Windows 2K or higher, these newer OS are picky about hardware so if you plug the OS drive to other PC, most likely, it'll just hang.

Best way is to hook up the drive to another computer as a secondary (slave), copy the Homeseer directory among others to the good computer drive.

If you're building a new PC, I'd recommned getting a new drive too. Once everything is all set with the new PC, you can selectively copy over the data back to your Homeseer directory.

My way of backing up the HS server is a 2nd identical drive for imaging. I do that once a month with Drive Image. Internally, I do backup of the Homeseer up to 31 versions (by day of the month) on the same drive as well as across to the network.

I once was ghosting a drive and something happened in between, I almost lost 2 drives at the same time. I was lucky to be able to recover some files. So backup all important files to several locations.

Good luck,

Simon

Comment

Bob,

Just remember, in case you need a company to do data recovery, I can dig up the contact information as we send our bad drives to this company and they will do an estimate as to whether they can recover the data or not. If it's un-successful, there's no charge to you.

However, if they can recover the data, you'll agree to pay whatever they told you - usually in the ball park of $1000-$1500 Canadian.

I think the company name is CBL something. Hopefully you don't need it.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X