HS in VMWare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS in VMWare

For those running VMWare, how are you doing that with HS? I'm trying to run a VMWare machine with XP Pro and HS on my 2003 Server. I'm trying to get it to run as a service so it persists across logoff's/logon's and HS keeps on going. I found something on the VMWare MB where a guy had the service start a script that starts VMware with a paticular machine definition. I almost have that working but when I start the service it saysi ti started than stopped because there was nothing for it to do. Any clues on that?

I'm doing it this way because I want to keep the voice recognition active. How are you other guru's running VMWare and HS?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Running HS in vmware is crazy, you better have a hyperthreading cpu and a gig of ram, not to mention, you can only use serial devices, and some basic HID usb devices. How is this working out for you? If you want to run a VMware machine as a service, check out firedaemon, it can turn any app into a service, I use it a lot on my machines.

---
    Do you cocoon?
    http://www.CocoonTech.com
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

I'm running a 2.8 P4 w/hyperthreading and a GB of RAM. I've tested HS in VMWare and it runs fine....for now. I'm really just getting started with HS.

Jeff

Comment

BTW - I just installed the Z-Wave USB controller in HS on the gues t machine. Works fine!

Jeff

Comment

This has nothing to do with VMWare (although I am interested to see how it works out for you) but I just keep a user logged in from the console all the time. I do not run HS as a service. The problem, as you have figured out, is VR, and it is a Microsoft limitation, not HS.

Bill

Comment

the usb device is probably HID compliant, so it should work with vmware.

Bill, that's the reason he is running this in vmware ( I assume ), he can leave the virtual homeseer machine logged in so TTS will work, but the physical machine doesn't have to be logged in at all assuming he can run the VMware workstation as a service. It's a very good idea, one I would love to try, I just don't have enough memory, but it would make backups and moving to a new machine so much easier!

---
            Do you cocoon?
            HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
            (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Yeah Dan, that's exactly why I'm trying to do this. I'm using FireDaemon now and I get VMWare running as a service but he doesn't start the VM nor can I access VMWare. Still playing around.

Jeff

Comment

I'll look around to see if I Can find anything on it, but not sure if this is going to work as VMware GSX was designed to do this.

[edit]
                Here are some url's giving some more info or tips on how to do this:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D2

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D3

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...don.vmware.com

maybe these links will help you out, let me know if you got it working or not.
                [/edit]

---
                Do you cocoon?
                (aka xplosiv)

Comment

WhooHoo!!! It works! P1 (the name HS responds to) talks and functions across logons and when no one is logged on. Now he's ready for prime time!

I have FireDaemon point to a cmd file for the executable. Here's what it has:

set bin="c:\program files\vmware\vmware workstation\vmware.exe"
                  set config="f:\my virtual machines\HomeSeerXP\Windows XP Professional.vmx"
                  start %bin% %config%
                  exit

I also had to check the Interact With The Desktop box.

Now I can get busy developing HS for production functions. I'm really just dabbeling right now, developing experience for when I build my new house (soon I hope).

I love this board, you folks are great!

Jeff

Comment

that's great, is the USB connectivity stable? I ran into some issues when trying to use a palm (it worked, but would run into trouble when flashing the firmware). Imagine the possibilities of this, it's huge ! Now I gotta go find the best deal on a gig of ram lol.

Btw, for performance reasons, I would suggest using a real partition/disk rather than a virtual drive (eventho it makes it harder to backup the virtual machine), should make a big difference. Do you run the AT&T voices? If so , do you have any performance issues?

---
                    Do you cocoon?
                    (aka xplosiv)

Comment

HS didn't recognize the USB Z-Wave a couple of times when starting up. This happened with both the host and guest OS's, though. Unplugging and replugging fixed it in all cases. I shouldn't have to restart it very often now with the VMWare. I've been running the trial version, guess I gotta cough up some dough for it now that it works.

So far I've only got the Z-Wave USB but I should have the X-10 freebie (+5.95 shipping) soon. For the Z-Wave I can only use the plug-in lamp module, I don't have a neutral wire to run the switches. Bummer.

Also I don't use the ATT voices, we here kinda like the robotic default voice. When I call P1 for attention he says "Yo dog, Whadd up?"

He's a riot!

Jeff

Comment

cool, the USB powerlinc should work with VMware too as it is HID compliant, but I think you can only use up to 2 usb devices. I am really interested in the performance of the AT&T voices as they take a big toll on memory, I guess I will have to try this out myself someday.

---
                        Do you cocoon?
                        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

I've been running HS successfully in a VMWare GSX 3.1 environment for a few months (as an XP guest that autologs in).

I'm trying to add the Zwave USB Interface, but it makes the guest bluescreen.

Any ideas from you VMWare gurus?

Thanks...

Comment

When I have to restart VMware, I have to unplug any USB devices that communicate with it and plug them back in after XP is back up under VMware. That's the only I can get him to attach the USB ports.

Kind of a pain, but it doesn't happen that often.

Jeff B.

Comment

Mine seems to attach okay and initializes fine with Homeseer. It just intermittently (no more than every 5 mins or so) bluescreens the computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X