Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You'll want one of these multipurpose displays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll want one of these multipurpose displays...

If there is enough interest in these displays, it may be possible to get a plug-in written that will fully utilise their functionality. It would be a kind of mini Betabrite / 1 wire interface / digital i/o plugin.

The latest range of LCD/VFD displays from Matrix Orbital based on VK202-24-USB and LK202-24-USB Rev1.4 displays have built in support for 1-wire devices. On top of this they provide 16 connections for buttons (or 16 digital inputs) and 6 outputs. Of course they also function as LED or VFD displays for useful HA information around the house. They can be connected via serial (up to 200ft) or USB.

I reckon that the MX series that come mounted in a bezel with a basic keypad could make highly useful control/monitoring/information points around the house. UK purchasers can get them from www.kustompcs.co.uk

So, Would you buy a plug-in for these units if one was available?

Jon

details of set up in profile

[This message was edited by JPLeedsUK on Tue, 16 March 2004 at 11:50 AM.]
    Yes, Yes, Yes, Let me at it!
    100.00%
    Nope, doesn't interest me.
    0.00%
    Maybe, if the price was right.
    0.00%

Why do you think that these displays have a 1-Wire interface. I've seen nothing in their literature claiming that. Perhaps I missed some statement somewhere?

Mitch

Comment

I couldn't find anything about 1wire in their documentation, either. However, there are discussions on their forums. Here's the "tutorial" explaining the command structure.

Matrix Orbital Forum

You just need to make sure your display has the right firmware. I don't know how to determine this.

By the way, that post is over 2 years old. I assume they are still using 1wire sensors - they talk about optional temperature sensors in the product descriptions but they don't say that they are 1wire (there isn't really any reason to since most people wouldn't know or care what 1wire is).

Note: They do not present what would be considered "best practice" for a 1wire network in this topic. They talk about a tree structure instead of a single run. The boards have multiple connectors for the 1wire bus but, without finding documentation, I imagine that it's really just a branching out of a single connection. They are assuming that your 1wire network will be inside a PC - they talk about 1 meter wire lengths, not the 10s or 100s of feet we often talk about here. Theirs looks like a reasonable approach if you want to distribute displays about the house with each display having its own local 1wire network - I just wouldn't follow their practices to wire my whole house. If they've implemented it correctly, however, you could probably run a long single-chain of sensors from the display (rather than a tree).

There is plenty of information on this board discussing wiring practices.

Comment

I think they have 1-wire support because it is mentioned in the docs relating to the display modules that make up the units.

VK202-24

LK202-24

The mention is in section 2.2, Specifically 2.2.4 and further details are in section 6.

Smee,
        You are correct in thinking that my idea was to have 'localised' 1-wire networks. Just a temp sensor and perhaps a contact sensor for door/window status in each room with a display.

Jon

details of set up in profile

Comment

Found it there. OK.

Mitch

Comment

You're right. It's in the documentation.

I will blame my inability to find it on their website. It must be their fault. If they had a link to the manual from the product page instead of from a separate page full of manuals, then I would have had no trouble finding the right manual. I must have looked at the wrong one.

And if you tell me that the link is there, it's still their fault - I'll just have to come up with another reason.

I think the rest of my comments on 1wire still hold, however.

Comment

Working...
            X