Holiday Lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday Lights?

I have started thinking about my holiday lights and how i am going to set them up this year. Of course i am going to automate them with x-10 and homeseer but i have a questions. are there any appliance modules that are specifically for outdoor use? last year i just took a ziploc bag and sealed in the appliance module and then poked the prongs of the plug through the bag. it seemed to work well but this year i will likely also be setting this sort of thing up for some friends too and i would like to come up with a more professional solution than a ziploc bag.

does smarthome (or anyone) offer any kind of outdoor weatherproof module or some kind of weatherproof housing for the modules?

These kits offer 2 outdoor X10 controllable outlets. The cost of the kit is worth it if your only going to use the outdoor modules.

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...3&cat=0&page=1

You have to use the controller to program them but after that I put the kit away.

Z-Wave also offers some outdoor modules but they are substantially more expensive than these.
    http://www.smarthome.com/1183.html
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

is there any wayto buy additional modules (not the kit just the modules). because i was thinking i will need 3 or 4 outdoor modules and i woudl rather not but a whole second kit for additional modules.

Comment

Not that I know of but the way I look at it the 2 plugin modules come out to be $22 each. Still not too bad. Also don't forget about the X10 wall outlets behind a cover as DC posted in the other thread.

Comment

Rupp is right, the X10 modules behind a weather proof cover is a very nice addition to your home. I have currently put 4 around the front of my house and then 2 around back. One plug is currently in the second floor dormer eve for icicle lights and is daisy chained to plugs in the other dormers. I was able to cut away at the brick with a hammer drill and then chisel away the bring and fish a wire through, giving a built in look. I like the SR227 from X10 or Smart Home you get 1 full time hot outlet and then one switched. See http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_sr227.htm

The reason I added so many of these plugs is that over the last 2 years we have added so many new animated and lighted items that the power requirements out grew the one standard plug out front. I had extension cord running every where. All of the new plugs added are home runs to our main panel, so hopefully no thrown breakers this year.
          <O
          Look what my wife picked up at Sams Wholesale for me. Check out the 8-FT Airblown Snowglobe - Snowman Family at http://www.gemmy.com/<O</O

Billy

Comment

yeah good point about the pricing of those black and decker modules - i suppose $22 each is nto too bad. and depending on how much time i have i may replace my outdoor outlets (single gang) with dual gang boxes with a GCFI and an x-10 outlet. that just sems like a better solution. and it shouldnt be too hard - just gotta replace the box and add a coupel jumper wires right?

bdraper - its funny you shoudl mention the snowglobe - my fiancee just picked one of those up the other day - i dotn think it was 8ft though i think it was a smaller one. but still its a cool concept - inflatable snowglobe

Comment

Originally posted by bdraper
              Look what my wife picked up at Sams Wholesale for me. Check out the 8-FT Airblown Snowglobe
              I thought I was the only one that liked that Snow Globe until I tried to find one. WallMart Sold out. Sam's sold out. I kinda thought it was "hillbilly like" but maybe not if others like them so much?

Comment

I've heard

I have heard of people taking regular X10 modules and putting them in Ziplock bags- letting the prongs push thru-- then taking the wire to be plugged in and putting that in the bag and sealing it as much as possible- or wrapping a rubber band around it.

Maybe not the most asthetic solution but I have a cover on my ourdoor outlet- so this isn't noticable for me.
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Rupp, try Lowes or Home Depot. Although, Sams was the cheapest we found for the Snow Globes...

I wasn't trying to be "hillbilly like"... Maybe a distant third cousin of the Griswolds. Ever seen Christmas Vacation?

I've used the Ziplock bag idea before, works like a champ. I later converted to a more permant solution.
                  Billy

Comment

"oh ther's a little knot, why dont you work on that Russ."
                    "oh sorry dad , gotta go do my home work, wash the car, feed the hog..."
                    "a little full, lot of sap - looks good"

great movie.

oh and "cant see the lines can ya russ?" LOL

Comment

I like the outlet solution as well. But, for locations where I don't have a controlled outlet, I've been lucky with just putting the appliance module out without a bag. So far, rain hasn't seemed to kill them but perhaps I've been lucky.
                      Martin Custer

Comment

Ziplock bag, not closed tight

A few years ago I tried an appliance module inside ziplock bag (just pushing the module prongs right through the bag). I found if I tried to seal it up tight an little moisture always got trapped inside and corroded things. Now I still use the bag, but more as just a rain shield and leave the bottom open. It keeps it dry and no moisture buildup problem. I have at least a couple of years on the one that controls my low voltage lights on and around my deck.
                        Dick
                        HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Originally posted by RAM
                          A few years ago I tried an appliance module inside ziplock bag (just pushing the module prongs right through the bag). I found if I tried to seal it up tight an little moisture always got trapped inside and corroded things. Now I still use the bag, but more as just a rain shield and leave the bottom open. It keeps it dry and no moisture buildup problem. I have at least a couple of years on the one that controls my low voltage lights on and around my deck.
                          I have done the same thing for several years, the last 2 with z-wave modules with no problem.

This year I put new outlets outside that will be controlled by z-wave switches inside, I am still debating overy relay or dimming switches. It would be nice to be able to fade some displays.

StevenE
                          Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Can a lamp module such as a LM465 supply enough power for 600-700 watts of lighting? I was thinking an appliance module would be better....
                            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Appliance modules are definitely better.

Comment

Working...
                              X