Video Capture / PVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Capture / PVR

I have two ATI All-In-Wonder 128 that I used to use for video capture. However, I now only use both for higher video quality than motherboard video and one of them for TV tuner. The video capture was just to much a strain one of the PCs and the other runs HS2 and I do not want to add a strain on that system either.

I would like to move to a PVR but for now am looking at just being able to record from VHS and VHS-C for now. An external unit with hardware processing would likely be best. That way I could use with my laptop or home PC. If I could make it work as a "PVR" that would be great too but I suppose that I am talking two pieces of hardware.

Any suggestions?
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

I have a ReplayTV for this and love it. Tivo lovers will also tell you that Tivo is a good way to go.

If I ever get digital cable, I'll probably switch over the Comcast's digital cable box with built-in PVR ... until someone starts selling a real HD capture card.

Comment

pvr stuff

Jim,

I am in the process of building a DIY pvr now. Almost done !

Tons of info and very helpful people here http://www.byopvr.com/

Check out the forums pages also !

Neil
      Neil
      Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Jim,

To take the strain off of the CPU, you need a capture card with a hardware encoder. I have a couple of Hauppauge cards that work great with Media Center Edition and Snapstream. You can usually pick up a Hauppauge 150 for $70-$100 after rebate. I tried some cheap $40 cards with encoding software and the ATI AIW, but they can't compare to the hardware encoders.

Comment

Neil & sqhughes,

How about the "Hauppauge! WinTV-PVR-usb2" so I can use with laptop.

Neil,

Signed up at Build Your Own PVR Forum. I'll do some searching but do you have some thread links?
          Last edited by Jim Doolittle; November 15, 2005, 05:02 PM.
          Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
          My Hardware & Software

Comment

I just purchased one of those a few weeks ago. It looks to be a great unit *HOWEVER* it keeps locking up my machine hard when recording video (and when using it as a PVR, in which case it is recording and playing).

It is a high-end Windows XP box that I do video editing on. No problem capturing hours of high-res DV through IEEE1394. They have had me install new drivers, disable codecs, all kinds of stuff until now my return period is over. I suppose it is my fault for not just returning it.

I'll post again if I can get it working properly.

Jon

Originally posted by Jim Doolittle
            Neil & sqhughes,

How about the "Hauppauge! WinTV-PVR-usb2" so I can use with

Neil,

Signed up at Build Your Own PVR Forum. I'll do some searching but do you have some thread links?
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Doolittle
              Neil & sqhughes,

How about the "Hauppauge! WinTV-PVR-usb2" so I can use with laptop.

Neil,

I have one that I use with Snapstream BeyondTV. Works great for me, but the software that comes with it is pretty bad (which is why I use Snapstream instead, which is awsome).

Alan

Comment

Do any of the video digitizer to USB do MPEG encoding in hardware?
                Isn't that constant USB stream a bit of an I/O load on the PC?

The Hauppauge PCI bus cards that have both encoding and decoding in hardware (the '250 as I recall) are $200 or more (though a friend found one on eBay for $130.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevech
                  Do any of the video digitizer to USB do MPEG encoding in hardware?
                  Isn't that constant USB stream a bit of an I/O load on the PC?

The Hauppauge PCI bus cards that have both encoding and decoding in hardware (the '250 as I recall) are $200 or more (though a friend found one on eBay for $130.
                  The Hauppauge! WinTV-PVR-usb2 does MPEG in hardware. There are also some new devices on the market that do DIVX in hardware.

Alan

Comment

I'm with dantelope. I use a ReplayTV (actually, a couple), and enjoy the reliability of having a dedicated box. The Replay also skips commercials, which is great!

--David

Comment

David,
                      Are these still available? Also do you have to pay a monthly services to use them?
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

In my original post I was kinds of looking for a "one size fits all" type of capture device.

From the posts I have read, I will likely be looking at a dedicated PVR for home theatre system that is connected to some service that provides a TV guide. I will likely get a separate USB unit for recording older VHS tapes and VHS-C tapes from my video camera.
                        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                        My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,

I am really not conversant in this PVR stuff yet - just learning.

I know that www.gbpvr.com is free and that's my favorite price !

You can use something called zap2it to get the listings from the internet.

That part I know works !

Some of the one time pay software looks OK too.

I am going to trial Sage TV as it has Canadian satellite listings.

I'm still trying to get my video card GEForce fx5200 to give me TV on one screen and windows on the other. Here I am totally lost !

Neil
                          Neil
                          Newmarket Ontario

Comment

Neil,

If you read through the docs for the FX5200, it's an either/or situation for TV/PC display. The card just cannot do both at the same time (I have three PCs with this card).

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Chas821
                              Neil,

If you read through the docs for the FX5200, it's an either/or situation for TV/PC display. The card just cannot do both at the same time (I have three PCs with this card).

Chuck
                              I had a PC set up with dual monitors. One was driven by the motherboard video and the other was driven by the All-In-Wonder. Sometimes I would run TV on AIW monitor and use the other for "work".
                              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
                              X