Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Capture / PVR

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    They have a new version that is more stable.


    Where is the info. on the GBPVER homesser interface???

    Regards,

    Comment


      #62
      I don't think it has made it into the Wiki yet, it can be found in the developer forums. I'll try to dig up a link.

      Jon




      Originally posted by noshali
      They have a new version that is more stable.


      Where is the info. on the GBPVER homesser interface???

      Regards,
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com
      (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by noshali
        If you are only interested in the PVR features and media center kinda stuff. Check the FREE OPEN SOURCE media portal....I know someone who has used it and loves it. My friend was an avid meedio fan and gave that up for the following. The only issue I have with such software including meedio is that they don't do home automation that well. I gues they are a different product aimed at providing media center type of functionality.


        http://www.team-mediaportal.com/
        regards,
        Meedio does do home automation. Check out Meedio HouseBot for details.

        Dan

        Comment


          #64
          Thanks.....Housebot..is OK. From what I saw the support does not seem to be there. The staff is good but the users are not there. Very few folks are on the forums for housebot unlike homeseer.


          regards,

          Comment


            #65
            I wonder how MediaPortal will compare to GB-PVR, the (freeware) PVR I'm now using?

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Stevech
              I wonder how MediaPortal will compare to GB-PVR, the (freeware) PVR I'm now using?
              Media Portal just did a test with 6 PVR cards in one machine and apparently it passed with flying colors.

              The good thing about media portal is that it is not only a PVR but weather etc. also.

              Regards,

              Comment


                #67
                I also read in their forum that these early versions of MediaPortal is not very stable - perhaps due to its youth.

                My main issue with PVRs after a few weeks' use is the ease of which you can deal with recording conflicts (2 or more desired shows at the same time). This is a complicated database problem - optimizing where many TV show episodes (by episode title) run multiple times on the same channel or in a few cases, on multiple channels. GB-PVR is weak in this regard.

                This area may where SnapStream or Sage excel and justify their modest cost.

                GB-PVR has user-contributed plug-ins for weather, DVD archiving, etc. I've yet to try these.

                Comment


                  #68
                  I've been fighting these scheduling problems with all of the products I've been testing. None work NEARLY as well as my Tivo. It's not that hard of a problem actually, depending on the guide data available. It seems that some software relies too much on episode descriptions while others ignore it. It's a matter of deciding which criteria to use based on a priority list of available attributes. Not an uncommon problem these days.

                  In any event I saw that RC2 of MediaPortal was out. It is much better than RC1 but still pretty unstable for me. It sure looks nice, so I hope it matures. If all you want is a PVR then I think that SnapStream is the best. For a bit more in the way of non-PVR features SageTV is stronger. Since I have a DirecTivo I'm looking more for non-PVR features with a PVR as a side-benefit.

                  Jon




                  Originally posted by Stevech
                  I also read in their forum that these early versions of MediaPortal is not very stable - perhaps due to its youth.

                  My main issue with PVRs after a few weeks' use is the ease of which you can deal with recording conflicts (2 or more desired shows at the same time). This is a complicated database problem - optimizing where many TV show episodes (by episode title) run multiple times on the same channel or in a few cases, on multiple channels. GB-PVR is weak in this regard.

                  This area may where SnapStream or Sage excel and justify their modest cost.

                  GB-PVR has user-contributed plug-ins for weather, DVD archiving, etc. I've yet to try these.
                  Jon Ort
                  JonOrt@The--Orts.com
                  (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X