Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - 40% CPU usage with nothing running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT - 40% CPU usage with nothing running...

My HA server is a dual P3 600 MHz CPU machine running Windows 2000 Pro. I have noticed that one of the CPU consistently runs at about 40% CPU usage even when 'nothing' is running. (Nothing other than the OS running, no programs running.) The only program 'running' is Norton Antivirus and it's CPU usage is <1%. I have used Performance Monitor to try and find what process or thread is using the CPU, but can't find anything. Does anyone know of a software tool that might help me track down what is keeping that one CPU so busy?
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Dick

Have you simply used the task managers processes tab and sorted the CPU column. This will move the Image name to the top that is using the most cpu cycles.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
      Dick

Have you simply used the task managers processes tab and sorted the CPU column. This will move the Image name to the top that is using the most cpu cycles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That shows 'System Idle Process' like it normally does on any PC. My other identical server (my weather and cameras server) shows that same thing, but no 40% CPU usage at 'idle'. That server shows 'normal' 1-2% CPU usage on both processors when idle, whereas my HA server show the one processor at 40% usage when 'idle'.

Dick
      Dick
      HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Could you have a virus ?

Comment

Dick,
          I am also having a problem with very high cpu usage but the problem is in Zone Alarm firewall. Are you using Zone Alarm.

Michael

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, BUT:

- No Virus - I have Norton running all the time and have loaded and checked with both AVG Antivirus and McAfee.

- No Zone Alarm.

- Have run Ad-aware and Spy Sweeper and neither of them showed up anything either.

That's the strange thing. I have run Windows Performance Monitor and checked every process and thread and none of them show using more than 1% CPU.

I'm open to any other ideas on what to check.

Dick
            Dick

Comment

You could try TaskInfo from www.iarsn.com

They have a free trial period.

I liked it so much I paid the $35 to register it.

Bill

Comment

Found it!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill D:
                You could try TaskInfo from http://www.iarsn.com

They have a free trial period.

I liked it so much I paid the $35 to register it.

Bill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Taskinfo found it, "Interrupts Time Placeholder" is what's sucking up all that CPU time I was noticing. I assume that is time spent sevicing interrupts. Now I have to figure what interrupts it is so busy servicing and see if I can reduce that load. I'm going to start looking what I get back in town tomorrow evening. Meanwhile if anyone has any tips for tracking down what/why it is so busy servcing interrupts, feel free to chime in.

Thanks Bill for the Taskinfo tip. I'll probably register too.

Dick
                Dick

Comment

Working...
                X