Wireless Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Cameras

Is anyone here using the x10 wireless cameras in their homeseer environment? I was wondering if anyone could give me a description of some of the things they are doing and whether or not I should actually get a couple. Basically I am looking at monitoring the front and back doors, and possibly a couple inside the house.

Also if someone is familiar with the pan and scan features, are they any good?

Thanks

There is a lot of threads/discussions about them. Just try to search the board.
    Basicly - you will get what you pay for. They need a good light and you will need to play with focus to get decent image.
    Also look at Rupp's page (www.ruppworld.com) I believe he has some X10 on line.

Marty

Comment

I guess I was looking for some insight on the best ones to get. Is Pan and Scan neccasary? The X10's don't look horrible for what I am thinking. Hmmm any other lowcost good camera suggestions?

Comment

BDavies, I have a number of X10 cameras - and although there are certainly better cameras - these are very good value. You can typically get 3 cameras and a receiver for $140. This gets you nicely started. The pan and tilt is nice, however it was just recently that a way was found to control them through Homeseer. This really makes them great value again. I think you can pickup 3 pan/tilt units (separate from the cameras) for $80 if you watch for the sales. In order to control them through HS you need to also buy a CM19a transceiver and install a free plug-in. It works great!

If you are just starting out, I think the X10 cameras are a great way to get going. From there you can determine if you like it, or want better quality cameras.

Comment

Thanks very much for the info. Do you have any of your cameras setup to turn on using motion? How does this work for you if you do? Can you easily make out the image on the cameras or have you been using it more for just the fact that something is there?

Comment

I just got mine yesterday. They are fine for daylight and ok at night if the area is well lit. So if you want to use them in the dark the get something else. Get some sort of night vision cam

Comment

I have 8 X10 camera's that I have bought over the years. ALL still function perfectly even though some have been outdoors and turned on 24/7 for over 3 years. The ONLY issue I have with X10 are with the completely wireless cameras. If on the pan/tilt, sometimes you can pan too far and the transmitter no longer points to the receiver and the picture gets dorked up a bit. (OK there is ONE more problem. If you leave the protective clear plastic cap on when the camera is outdoors, the picture can tend to get a bit blurry unless you keep that lense cover clean....)

Other than that, they are GREAT! I have 4 of them on a CHEAP sequencer (off eBay) that show all the entries of my house and my mailbox. I can check them easily via the web and also have them as input to my line-in on the TV's in the house. 4 others are in different rooms around the house. Each has a built in mic and, even though the mic is not so great, I have been able to get some simple Homeseer voice commands to work though them. I use a motion detector to switch cameras as I walk through the house. (I don't really like the cameras on all the time, but I just needed a way to have/control mics in each room... A friend did this originally and I stole the idea!)

ANYWAY, there are IP based cameras that have much better picture quality, but you'll pay for it. For what I use them for, X10 cameras are the way to go. With all the plug-ins now available, you are limited in what you can do only by your imagination...

Rob

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Get some sort of night vision cam <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Harbor Freight sells a weather'proof' wired low light B&W outdoor camera with a decent microphone for $29. It works very well with very minimal light. It comes with a 60' cord too. It is not great in very bright conditions (like daylight) but works great at night. I have it on the opposite corner of my back porch and there is only a 60 watt bulb above the back door (that is usually dimmed 60%) and it almost looks like daylight through the camera...

Rob

Comment

Hey thanks for everyones responses. I think I might get a couple. 2 of them will be for security. Not so much for identifying but more for just knowing whether someone is there and when. Also, for those using sensors with their cameras. Are any of them eagleeyes. I am having a problem with eagle eyes unless they are on the same house code as the unit I am trying to intereact with.

Also, do you ever have interference with your wireless networks?

Comment

bdavies,
                    I have bunch of X10 motio9n sensors (all types) and they are running without any probles.
                    What kind of problem exactly are you talking about? What kind of house receiver do you have?

Comment

I have the RR501 I believe. Basically the issue I am having is that I am not sure if I have the right procedure down for starting an event with a sensor and another house code besides the sensor+1.

Comment

BDavies, here's a link to a script that I wrote that emails me pictures when it senses motion from a motion detector. This may help you out.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...796#7352986796

Comment

Working...
                        X