Futuristic Desk Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futuristic Desk Help

i am interested in creating a sort of Futuristic Style Desk where sliding panels on the desk move back revealing Vu Meters / LCD Display / Cd-Roms

All controllable by a Key like those PC Keyboard Lock Keys *when u insert the key the computer says Welcome Back and the panels move back ready for action also the desklight could be programed to come* on by x10 the panels would be controllable with the parallel port plugin i looked on the forum and seen a few things mentioning blind control and motors so i started searching for info i stumbled across this site

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/c...skstepper.html

so it got me wondering if its doable with a Standard Floppy Drive and its controller ,would it have enough torque to handle a small sliding panel on runners and how smooth and accurate would it be are there any other problems i havent looked into??

any input on this would be Greatly Appreciated Thanks

I've seen 12vdc automobile antenna motors used for similar purposes. Not really "accurate" but sure enough torque.

Comment

I just posted this in another forum for another project, but it would make for a simple mortorized setup for silding cabnet doors. In this case, the servo is modified so that it is just a DC motor with reduction gears.

You probably can use the below motor reversing setup with a single small 6 volt double throw, double pole relay. Wire the servo motor leads to the two center common leads on the relay. Cross wire the outboard relay contact leads in an "X" type fashon. Then connect the one side of the "X" wiring to the motor power source. Now with no power on the relay coil, the set of normally closed relay contacts applys power to the servo, rotating the servo until the limit switch opens the circuit stopping the servo in that direction. This is the resting state of the servo. When power is applied to the relay coil, the relay switches over and connects the motor leads to the other side of the "X", which now supplys opposite voltage to the servo, moving it in the opposite direction until the other limit switch opens the circuit. When power is removed from the relay coil, the relay goes back to its deenergized state connecting the motor leads to the origional side of the "X" once again reversing the voltage to the servo. The relay rotates back to its origional position where the limit switch opens the circuit. This might work quite well with your ~1-2 sec blip of 7v power, having it energize the relay coil. This "X" setup is often used with spring centering on-off-on position toggle switchs for running motors in two directions (raise/lower outdrive on a boat and such). The diodes in the reversing circuit bypass the limit switches and allow enough voltage to flow in only one direction to get the motor off the limit switch letting it close.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/switch.htm
      Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Working...
      X