Russound Cav6.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russound Cav6.6

Is anyone successfully controlling a CAV6.6 via rs-232 thru homeseer?

I would like to know also, i have been considering purchasing one lately.

StevenE
    Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

I am going to guess the answer is NO..

such is life.

StevenE

Comment

Other Russound products have the RS232 protocol described in their manuals. For example, I found the information in the following post from the manual downloaded from www.russound.com

thread mentioning PR-4Zi

This information is not in the manual for the CAV6.6. However, the manual does mention that you can get the protocol from www.russound.com in their Document Center section (see page 40 in the manual). To get to these documents, you have to log in. I don't want to give them any information so I didn't go any further.

Look for that document and see what it looks like. I know that the device I commented on in the above thread looks easy to control through scripts.

Comment

Hey guys,
          Take a look at Mainlobby products..www.cinemaronline.com

They gotta plugin going for the cav6.6 and IT ROCKS! Mario over there is the best- Their working on a 2-way plugin for homeseer too!

I'm gonna work on integrating with homeseer next. I'll post my results-

Josh

Comment

Actually if you read the MainLobby threads on this MB you will see that Mario himself has been dragging on helping with the two-way HomeSeer integration. Nobody knows why as we are 7,000 potential customers for him. The ML server and the HomeSeer plug-in have been through the valiant efforts of a couple of non-Cinemar people.

Drive it home - send Mario and email requesting two-way integration with HomeSeer!

As for Russound WITHOUT ML, I would like to see a plug-in as well as it is a distributed audio system that is really growing in popularity. Kustom (KHS/Nuvo) has, from my observations, lost a lot of distributor support and future business with some recent changes they have made. They certainly left me with a regret for not spending a little more for the Russound system. Now that home automation distributors are pushing Russound, the time for that system has come. If nobody has done a Russound plug-in, then they may wish to contact Worthington Distribution as an experienced programmer might be able to offer to build a plug-in in exchange for some home automation equipment.

There is also the TurtleBeach AudioTron that now has a plug-in for HomeSeer, and although it is in a slightly different area of home audio than a Kustom/Russound system, several of those distributed in the home can approximate the functionality of a Kustom/Russound system, and might very well be at a lower total cost.
            Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Has anybody even looked at the protocol for the CAV6.6? If it's anything like the PR-4Zi, then it should be REALLY easy to control via scripts - no plugin necessary. A plugin might make things like monitoring the state of the CAV6.6 (through polling?) a little easier. But, the basic control of the device should be a piece of cake.

Comment

well, that won't be me.

I am not a programmer, I can barely write 5 line scripts that work.

StevenE

Comment

Working...
                X