Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email Server or ?

Hi All,
    Looking to refine my Homeseer & home network computers over the Holidays. I did manage to resurrect my Homeseer v1.6 and am working on it before going to v2.0.
    But, I'm wondering how email is usually handled on a multiple (network) computer setup? Is one computer configured to send and receive all email and the others access email through it? I imagine it'd be a mess if each computer had access right to the ISP for email. Are there any websites in particular to browse for this knowledge? I googled, but nothing obvious came up.
    Thanks again,
    Devin

Email

I expect both ways you mention have pros and cons. I have multiple computers each computer has its own email client with pop and smtp access. I do happen to use different email address on different computers. The benifet is I dont have to have the whole network up in order to send an email. You can setup you email client to leave the messages on the server and download them all into one place daily.

On my HS server I only have it picking up email relating to HS On my work pc work emails.
    On my Quality time PC stuff for me.

The downside of above I have multiple ways of entry for virus's etc. So I need to be carefull.

Regards

Alan

Comment

It's amazing how many different methods that people control/operate their email.

I just use my ISP's mail server to do all the work. With Outlook/Outlook express, you can configure it to just copy/read the email off the server or to download/read and clear the server. This can be done with any networked computer at home and could have accounts specific to a particular PC.

That said, I get Homeseer to read (not download) all the email from all accounts and use its web server via custom asp's to read email's from any PC (or remotely). I then clear the ISP's mail server normally once a day via Outlook.
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00

That said, I get Homeseer to read (not download) all the email from all accounts and use its web server via custom asp's to read email's from any PC (or remotely). I then clear the ISP's mail server normally once a day via Outlook.
        Would appreciate any help with settign this up. ASP etc. Don't know how to code so looking for a cookie cutter solution.

regards,

Comment

I've always used MS Outlook as my personal email client. I have it move the new email to my PC. When I'm on the road, my PC is (usually) not turned on so the email queues up at my ISP and I can then use my ISP's webmail access from any browser.

Problem is that the ISP's storage quota is only 5MB.
          And I don't have my contacts/addresses when using webmail.

I have used Yahoo email, but there's so much spamming there I don't care for it.

Still looking for the ideal.

Comment

There's another option if you'd like to run your own email server but still run XP Professional (instead of Server). It's called MailEnable.

http://www.mailenable.com/

They've got a free version that does POP email boxes, list responders, etc. I've been running it for over a year now and it's never given me a lick of trouble.

-Scott

Comment

MailEnable looks interesting - but I'll need a domain name, eh?
              The only one I have belongs the the ISP/email-provider that I want to dump.

Comment

Check out yahoo domains to park your domian. They have a deal going for $2.99 you can get a domain name for 1 year and you can sign up for 5 years....the best deal around unless I hear otherwise.

I will mailenable and post the findings.

regards,

Comment

How do you enable HS to access multiple email accounts inside Outlook? I seem to only be able to access the first one entered which is the one thru my ISP. Is there a wasy to enable HS to my MSN account thru outlook?

Comment

Check out the stuff by John00. He has done some great work for email.

Best thing is that he instructions are awesome and very easy to understand and follow. I implemented his weather script in 5 minutes (and it actually worked)

Regards,

Originally posted by jon00
                    I have a email script/asp package that will do most of what you want. It currently does not read the email body but could be added.

The trouble with reading the body of a email is that it all depends on the email client sending the email. Things like homeseer just send a plain text message but Outlook/Outlook Express send the message in plain text and also in HTML code. If you are not careful, Homeseer could be announcing all sorts of garbage (HTML tags) if not correctly filtered.

I have had several requests now to add the reading of the body to this package. Take a look and if you are interested / trying it out, I will take a look at this for you.

It is best to get the latest version and documentation from my site but the info about it can be found at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=101697 and discussion at http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=95585

BTW, You do not need Outlook running on your PC for this to work.

Comment

Thanks for that noshali!

Version 3 of my email script will be out soon. Here is a screen shot:
                      Attached Files
                      Jon

Comment

Jon00

You are most welcome. The version 3 looks great.

Do you have any downloads for the frontpage to put on the website (summary page) type of a page.

I have looked elsewhere and found the page but have trouble customizing it and most of the time the images are missing etc. etc.

I will do the mail part this weekend. Any ideas or suggestions on IMAP. I have all my accounts setup on my webserver hosted with an ISP and I do IMAP so that I can have access to my email using webmail (office) or outlook at home.

Regards,

Comment

Just come in and about to go to bed....I have read your first two paragraphs a few times and not sure what you are asking ???? (it could be the beer I had earlier though!)
                          Jon

Comment

1. I am totally new to homeseer...25days to be precise. I have a decent idea of the status page and devices that ger created. I have seen a lot of user like yourself have a frontpage or quickview.asp that show you what you really need to see and not the 300 devices that are setup in the background. Was hoping you have something with directions to setup such a page or maybe you could point me in the right direction.
                            2. Using IMAP for various accounts. The reason is because I have setup filters etc on my webiste for my kids and my account can only have spamassasin if I configure it as an IMAP account.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                            X