Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dimmer switch wiring.

Ok here goes.

I know the dimmer switches have 3 cables. Black, Red, and Blue. However, I went to connect one today and when I looked the existing cabling. I saw 2 reds and a white/or black. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Is it a 2 way circuit?

Comment

To tell you the truth I don't know. I have 1 light right next to each other but the both control different lights.

Comment

A 2-way circuit is one with 2 switches controlling the same light(s). IE a stairway with switches at the top and bottom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I saw 2 reds and a white/or black. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ugh, which one is it? White or Black?
        My system is described in my profile.

Comment

Are all of the white or neutrals tied together?
          Are all of the Blacks tied together?
          One white or black may be tied to one of the reds and going up to a two way or possibly a box with 2 devices, such as a fan. You will need to provide some more details.
          Can you turn on or off the same light that this switch controls with any other switch in your home?

Comment

Actually, now that I think of it. Yes it is a 3 way switch. I believe that the hall light can be turned off down in the basement. So does this help?

Comment

Working...
            X