RCS ZC6R (6 zone HVAC) support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCS ZC6R (6 zone HVAC) support?

I'm currently running Homeseer with 2 TX15B thermostats, and am very happy with it. Unfortunately, my system doesn't have enough zones, so I'm considering replacing my 4 zone controller with the RCS 6 zone.

Since I won't be able to use the TX15B's anymore (but the displays should work), I would need a way to control the ZC6R from Homeseer. Has anyone done this yet?

Thanks,
    Ken

Ken,

This came up in my discussions with the author of the RCS SERIAL thermostat plug-in. I want the plug-in to come out supporting the standalone serial thermostats, then the TR40 (display features), and then I will discuss the ZC6R. It will sort of depend on how much it will cost us to have support added and how much demand there is.

From what I can gather, there are some additional data points that the ZC6R provides, but using the one RS-232 interface provided by their 232/485 bridge (if you order the right one) you can communicate with the individual zones as if they were separate thermostats. I could be wrong, but please check with Bruce at RCS and I am sure he will set you straight. As far as I know, the only thing we miss in not supporting the ZC6R directly are the additional settings/data points that it provides over what a standalone thermostat has.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick,

Thanks much for the reply. I would be very happy to be able to just set temperature for the different zones, which is all I use my TX15B's (X-10) for now (through HomeSeer). I have not heard of anyone successfully doing that.

What language are these written in? I'm a software developer by trade, so would be happy to pitch in to get support going for the ZC6R. I would put a regular 6 zone controller in instead, but that would be more costly, and these HVAC companies seem to be VERY tight lipped about products and where to find them.

Thanks,
      Ken

Comment

Working...
      X