Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated bath running

Just fitting a new bathroom
    I am going to install a touch screen on the wall as an interface to HS also to play DVD's etc.

I also want to automate bath running.
    I have found these to control the water. http://www.letsautomate.com/10488.cf...TOKEN=33001698

I need some way to monitor the overflow pipe? Maybe a modified MS13???

I also need a way of controlling the waste / Plug??? The only thing I could think of for this was to use a solenoid to control one of those plugs that you open and close via a rod going to the taps.

Be interested to hear from anyone who has attempted this also any advice and ideas
    Thanks.

Jim,
    I have been searching high and low for a way to automate my shower. I did notice that these control valves are not for the mains because it can't handle the pressure. Here in the US all of our water pressure is the same so this would prevent us from using these. There has to be an affordable pressure control valve that can handle ~100 PSI and lower.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

My water does not come directly from the mains. Cold comes from a tank in the loft and hot also come from a tank so preasure is not an isue.

I have considered useing some water valves from an old washing machine. They must be able to handle mains water preasure???
      Last edited by ; December 18, 2005, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Jim,

For your low pressure water supply, just use Honeywell V4043 valves. You can get Normally closed and Normally open versions. I use two of these to isolate my low pressure supply if the house is not occupied to prevent floods.

Take a look at http://heatandplumb.com/acatalog/cop...Honeywell.html

Rupp, they are available. I isolate my mains High Pressure supply by using these: http://www.betavalve.com/servo.asp

I use the Normally open version so that if you have a mains failure, you still get water!

If you look at the data sheet for the E207 series, they make these up to 2" pipe fittings and with 110V coils.
        Attached Files
        Jon

Comment

jamesclabon,

If i'm not mistaken, unless you have some sort of regulator after your main, you will have the same pressure at the outlets as you have at the mains, reguardless of the tanks in between.
          Thanks,

T.

Comment

Not so in the UK except for the latest installations.

We normally only have a 1/2" mains water supply at about 80 psi so to give us enough water for showers, baths etc, we have a 50-100 gallon tank in the attic which is used as storage. This then provides the low pressure to the toilet, bath, shower etc.

Basically, too many houses fed off old water supplies.
            Jon

Comment

If thats the case there must be some sort of regulation going on in thoes tanks.
              Thanks,

T.

Comment

Nope,

Within the tank, we have a ball valve that floats in the water and as the water level drops, so the water is allowed in. When it reaches the correct level, it stops.

The head of water is only 10-20ft for the house so to get high pressure showers, we have to 'suck' it out of the tanks with a pump. Not good I know!
                Jon

Comment

Thanks
                  Any ideas on the waste outlet??

Comment

Been thinking and maybe you can combine water depth and waste automation - see attached scribble for my "idea" - point being you can use industrial looking devices for waste and depth switches since it all goes on hidden from the visible part of the bath...

Malarcy
                    Attached Files

Comment

James,

I've been thinking this subject through for a while, but its still too far down the list to get started.

The basics in my plan are:

1) Leave the existing taps as they are. I want to retain manual control, and getting the right combination of valves open/closed and tap open/closed for everything to work how you want it at the moment is going to be too complicated.

2) Fit an additional bath filling outlet. Can be very discreet, see http://uk.hudsonreed.com/buy_taps/fr.../ct/mil01.html

3) Use a shower thermostat to get the temperature right, so that you don't need to adjust the hot and cold taps. If both hot and cold are at the same pressure, then you should only need one motorised valve (downstream of the thermostatic valve)

4) There's loads of 22mm motorised valves at B&Q, go have a look and pick one that will fit, but remember they work at 230v so you will need to put the valve(s) somewhere other than under the bath. Washing machine valves should work too but the flow may be a bit weak.

5) Use silicone sealant to fit a couple of studs in the bath at the height you want the water level. When you can flow 5v between the two studs, the water is at the right level, and you can switch off the water supply.

6) Make sure the overflow works really well!

7) The cable-operated waste outlets could easily be operated by a solenoid.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the responce
                        I was going to use the excisting taps, and fit the motorized valves in another room so they are away from the bathroom. I also intended to bypass the valves so the taps could be used normally if required and have the ability to turn on and off the bypass manually.

As for level and temperature I had intended to time the required amount of hot and cold to simply allow HS to switch on hot for so long and cold on for so long.

Then fit some kind of water sensor in the overflow pipe to turn of the taps if required.
                        I guess the above would require constant water preasure and temperature??
                        Maybee some sort of temp sensor would be better.

I need to do this without any visable sensors etc. Just bought a very expensive cast iron bath and will not be allowed to make any mods.

Just kinda thinking aloud.

Comment

Jim,

The velleman MK108 water alarm would work perfectly as a trigger for the overflow. You just need to replace the buzzer for a small 12V relay. The circuit uses a Darlington transistor so make the circuit quite sensitive.

For the sensor, you could drill the plastic overflow pipe and put 2 brass screws in line where the water would flow. Once the water touches the 2 screws it would trigger and fire the relay for triggering within Homeseer.

http://www.velleman.be/common/produc...an=1&id=338493

As for temp sensors, I would forget that. You should be able to work out approx mixtures depending on room/outside temps.
                          Jon

Comment

I'm just thinking out loud too, haven't actually done any of this yet.

The hot water temperature from my system isn't constant, particularly if this is the second bath that evening, so I couldn't rely on timing, but if your temperature and pressure don't vary too much, then its a very good, simple, solution.

My worry about using the existing taps is that you have to leave the taps on all the time, then if someone in the bath wants to top-up the water, they have to use the automated system, and basics like washing the bath after use has to have some automated way to run the tap(s) for a short while. Its all do-able, but takes some of the convenience away. And if its my partner that is having a bath after a stressful day, she would be very intolerant of anything that needs too much technical understanding!

Comment

Thanks Jon00 they look good for the overflow.

Originally posted by MichaelD
                              she would be very intolerant of anything that needs too much technical understanding!
                              Yes same thoughts here. Which is why I need to think this through. I appreciate the chat :-)

Yes a reliable way of turning the taps on and off from the bath is a must. I might install a touch screen but I don't know how much use it is going to be as the bath is almost in middle of room and not near a wall! Which leaves an X10 remote :-!
                              Or I could have three taps hot and cold and HS?

I will do some timed bath running over xmas to see how accurate it could be.

Do you think that a temp sensor mounted on the outside of the bath would be accurate enough to establish hot/ cold balance?

Comment

Working...
                              X