Adding a Com Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a Com Port

I'm just getting started with Homseer, after having successfully installed Cinemars DVDLobby and MusicLobby, but I'm stumped right out of the gate. I'm running a Slinke which is using Com1. I've tried assigning the CM11a to Com2 and have reinstalled its software twice. I keep getting an "invalid port" message. I have opened Device Manager in XP and all I see is Com 1. When I boot up the SlinkServer the only Com port shows as Com1 all others indicate as inaccessible. I confess to being a bit weak when it comes to system configuration issues. How can I activiate Com2 for the CM11a? I've read the posts on this issue but I haven't been able to connect the dots. I think I'll need some very basic instructions on how to walk through this. Would appreciate anyones help.

Not all motherboards provide more than 1 com port. If you have 2 com port connectors on the computer then go to the bios when the computer boots. This is usually the Del key during bootup. Look for Intergrated peripherals or anywhere there to see if an option exists to enable the serial port.

Comment

Most computer from the past few years only come with one serial port. I picked up a card at CompUSA with two more serials and one more paralel for about $30 that works great.

Comment

Willubraptured2

You stated <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've tried assigning the CM11a to Com2 and have reinstalled its software twice <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you not using HomeSeer? If you are you can have it automatically search for the CM11A. If your trying to use ActiveHome on a windows PC good luck. I tried to load it on 2 separate PC's for a test last weekend and it never did see either of my comports on either PC.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Apparently my computer did, in fact, only have one com port. I installed a serial card and now I have Com port 1, 4 and 5. The Slinke is on Com 1 and the CM11a is registering on both Com 4 and 5, which seems a bit odd. Should it be using two Com Ports? I have posted on another thread for my subsequent issues becaause I still can't get my computer to talk to the x-10 devices.

Comment

Willubraptured2,
            What makes you think the CM11A is registering on Comports 4 and 5? Are you running ActiveHome software as well? If so you need to disable this as it will attempt to "hijack" your CM11A.

Comment

When I open up the Slinke window it shows that the Slinke is on Com 1, and it shows the CM11a twice, on Com ports 4 and 5. I'm not in front of my computer right now, so I'll check the activehome part later this evening.

Comment

Disable the CM11 settings in the Slinkee and let Homeseer take care of the X10.
                My system is described in my profile.

Comment

I disabled Slinke and let hs search for the cm11a. Still get no signal to the x10 devices.

Comment

Sounds like your CM11A is bad. Did you get it to work with ActiveHome?

Comment

I never tried using activehome. Is there any way to verify if the cm11a is not working, or do I just ask smarthome to replace it?

Comment

Try this test. Plug in a lamp module in the same plugin that your CM11a is plugged into. Then send a command to the lamp module. If it still doesn't work then I would ask for a replacement.

After disabling the slinke does the HS log state that it is initializing the X10 interface ok?

Comment

Got it working. I had to start up hs before opening MLServer and SlinkeServe. Then it worked just fine. After starting hs, I was then able to start up MLServer and MainLobby and have both function simultaneously. Apparently the issue was that by having MLServer operating before starting hs, hs wasn't making the connection to the cm11a.

Comment

Working...
                          X