Alarm email Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm email Question

I have a DSC power 832 alarm system. It is not the greatest alarm to integrate with homeseer at this time. The only thing I can think of is possibly this: I get an email every time the alarm status changes. Armed, Unarmed, alarm, etc. What I would like to do is somehow have homeseer receive or recognize these commands from the email, and populate a device with the current status. Below is a sample email from the alarm company.

Anyone Authorized Arm/Disarm (Disarmed)

Bob,
    Do you have HS currently "filtering" your email?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

No, how do I do this? I would like it to filter for certain words, and then populate a device with the info.

Comment

Well the way I do it is I use Outlook express to check for email every 5 minutes. I then have Hs setup to use MAPI and check every 5 minutes. Then you would need to build a script to parse the subject and body of all emails, if that is where the message is located. There are some scripts on this BB to announce new emails and that would be an excellent place to start.

Comment

Rupp,

I've got the email on outlook set up with homeseer. Is there a way to run outlook as a service? I don't want the outlook taking up space in my spacebar, and I also don't want to shut it off by mistake. Also, how do i get rid of the messenger icon? I have it disabled.

Comment

Beach,
            I use a program called trayit that puts any window you desire in the system tray. I have also disable the messenger but it still comes up. But it also soon hides because I do not use it so it doesn't really take up that much space.

Comment

Rupp,

I can't seem to find an email script that will work with outlook express. Do you know of any off hand? I need something that will read my emails from outlook express, then I will try to parse the data.

Comment

Here's a code snip I found soing a search. This should get you started. I'm at work right now and my home internet is down or I would send you a better example. This need to be trigger by email reception

sub main()
                dim index
                dim subject

index = hs.MailTrigger
                from = hs.MailFromDisplay(index)
                subject = hs.MailSubject(index)
                hs.speak "You have mail! Its from " & from & ". The subject is"
                hs.speak subject
                body = hs.mailtext(index)
                end sub

Comment

Ok,

I've got the above script working. I just don't know how to parse email! Is is similar to parsing web pages? The email that I get from the alarm company has a one line message that says armed, or disarmed, or alert. I want to pull that out and add it to my ultra status page to give the most recent update. I also want to add the time and date of the email. How do you pull the time and date of the email?

I figured out how to do time and date. Parsing is still an issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X