alternatives to CM11a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternatives to CM11a

My brother is starting out with HS and needs to change from a TM751 to a direct powerline interface. I use the CM11a, but wanted to check with others to see what they would suggest that's current?

I have a TI103 and it works fine. I used to have the Powerlinc USB and it worked fine also - until a lighting storm killed it. I went with the TI103 for a replacement for a stronger signal as some areas of my house aren't X10 friendly.
    Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

Powerlinc USB here...
      I'm on my second one in less than a year. Not sure if that is indicative or not.

Comment

PowerLinc USB here for 2 years. They are inexpensive and much faster than a CM11A.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If I were advising a close friend or relative today (someone I could hand-hold a bit), I'd say go for the new Insteon PowerLinc V2 (2414 or 2814 series, USB or serial). It'll do X10 with an Insteon plugin, though some of the functionality might be limited until the plugins mature (which I think will happen quickly).

Add a pair of SignalLincs for Insteon phase bridging, and you can start to use Insteon devices, which are generally more flexible and more reliable (and sometimes cheaper) than X10 stuff.

In this scenario, if I had some unreliable X10 devices, a situation that seems to call for a BoosterLinc, I'd place a 2414x Insteon<->X10 translator near the "problem" X10 devices, and let HS pretend that the X10 widgets are Insteon. Again, the functionality of this approach will improve as the Insteon plugins mature.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by brothers
            It'll do X10 with an Insteon plugin...
            Does it not do X10 out of the box? I wonder if HST is going to add support for this device for X10 support?
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
              Does it not do X10 out of the box? I wonder if HST is going to add support for this device for X10 support?
              I meant an HS plugin. The PowerLinc V2 will send and receive both X10 and Insteon, but it requires an HS plugin that knows how to talk to it. That plugin, if appropriately designed, allows HS to control both Insteon and X10 devices via the PowerLinc V2.

(I can't believe I'm explaining something to Rupp

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

I am also looking at getting a replacement for the CM11A. I would also appreciate any experience with the Powerlink USB or the new Insteon interface.
                Cheers,
                Bob
                Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Rupp -

Further to my previous reply: I may have been a bit unclear - my plugin currently supports X10 devices through the PowerLinc V2; I assume Jon's does also, though I haven't looked at it yet.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

Working...
                  X