How to set up network behind SBC DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to set up network behind SBC DSL

A friend asked for some help. Wants to setup multiple machines to a DSL connection. SBC has a Connection Manager and appears to login from his machine direct attached to the DSL modem.
    Anyone setup a broadband router to SBC DSL ? Any tricks or is that 'extra stuff' like the Connection Manager not needed? I have a Linksys BEFSR41 sitting around with nothing to do.
    Linksys Product Link

almost sounds like PPPoE, which the Linksys router supports (see this screenshot: http://help.stargate.net/broadband/i...sys-setup2.gif)
    HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
    (aka xplosiv)
    Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

xplosiv,
      yep pppoe. I had him read his network settings to me. I believe I have all the settings and just need the password for the logon. He can't remember and needs to look it up. Looks like all you need is the right logon. That Connection Manager is just some more frufru, kinda like AOL dialup......
      At least I will get some wiring work out of this. Tired of doing free work anymore.
      Been looking at the Linksys WRT54GS for myself to add wireless and get rid of my wingate.com software. Just not sure if there's enough versatility in the settings to let me run my Apache and HS web servers behind it.

Comment

won't be a problem at all, just make sure that both webservers run on a different port. You will love the linksys router if you are still using WinGate.
        HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
        (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Wingate has been fine but I have heard that the hardware router will be faster. I haven't minded Wingate but I don't want to have to buy another release if I don't have to. And, that machine really needs to be reloaded from 98. Maybe could use it to serve camera or files.

Comment

I am not bashing WinGate, I have used it many years myself, it's just that a hardware router is much more independant and faster, and there are some cool options too.
            (aka xplosiv)

Comment

xplosiv, I didn't think you were bashing it. no problem. I was using it as I thought it had the most features and settings. I liked the ability to turn off ports, block urls, see what sites people were visiting, etc. Are you saying the new broadband routers will be as good as that? That would be a pleasant surprise. That Linksys is looking better. I am also considering their model that includes VPN.

Comment

most broadband routers have these features, if not more. Keep in mind that the VPN model is a VPN server, if you just want to connect with a VPN client from your network to i.e. work, any regular model will do. Check the pdf files for feature information, and the screenshots on images.google.com. Good luck!
                (aka xplosiv)

Comment

Working...
                X