Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mounting speaker near electrical wiring HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting speaker near electrical wiring HELP!

I have an install problem, but I haven't cut the holes yet...

The only two places where I can mount my wall speakers have electrical cable running through them (vertically). The speaker would be mounted approximately 5-6" from the electrical wiring.

A couple of points to mention:

1. Speaker and ONLY speaker will be mounted near electrical wiring. I will be popping a hole through the wall on the other side (it's a closet) to run the speaker cabling itself.

2. House is located in NYC, which requires all electrical cabling be "BX" (metal shielded), so all electrical wiring in my house is BX, and not Romex.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am off this week and wanted to knock this easy project out.

Have a great day,
    Jim

I have all of my speaker wires run in the same hole as my power lines and do not have a problem at all. There is no static nor any other adverse effects.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

The only real issue, I believe, is the wiring -- if you cross an electrical line, you should do so perpendicularly rather than in parallel.

5-6" sounds like a pretty good distance to me, I wouldn't anticipate too much noise from electrical lines.

Then again... I'm not an electrician.

Dan

Comment

Jim,

Speaker-level runs (wires from speaker to amp) aren't really susceptible to picking up noise like line-level audio wires are. From your description, I wouldn't expect any noise issues at all.

Doesn't sound like they will, but be certain your high-voltage electrical wires don't come into direct contact with the speaker frame... vibrations over time could wear through the insulation and cause a short.

Paul

Click to visit: www.sbsmarthomes.com
        Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Authorized Russound Dealer & Installer

Personal HA Website

HomeSeer User Profile

Comment

Complete

Finished the install. Longest part of the job was waiting for some replies on the message board(s).

In the end, the left speaker had a stud between it and the electrical wiring and right speaker was about 5" away from the wiring.

I am experiencing no audible hum - whew, this was a project that could have taken a serious turn for the worse from a WAF perspective if there was hum, lol.

Now I am trying to set up my Audigy surround card to be used as 3 independent zones. I am using JRiver Media Center for the audio. I have three zones, my Family Room, Living Room/Dining Room, and Master Bedroom with separate amplifiers (one of which was picked up on eBay for $42, shipped). The in wall speakers were an edealinfo.com deal (if you don't check out this site on a regular basis you are crazy) for $50 - they are AudioSource and sound fine. One zone is motherboard, another is a USB external card, and another is the Creative Audigy card that I am trying to get two more zones out of.

Now to just get rid of that armoire... Currently shopping for new furniture. This install is going to speed that process along, lol.
          Attached Files

Comment

Are the 2 speakers to the left and right of the TV being used for the TV? What size TV is that? How high is that TV mounted?

Comment

The TV is a 20" Polaroid LCD that I just picked up at Circuit City. Currently, the speakers are only for music and are not connected to the TV. My ceilings are 8', so that should give you an idea as to how high the TV is set. The TV hangs from a cantilever mount that keeps the TV about a foot from the wall and angled downwards, towards the bed.

Comment

Nice install and thanks for the information. Which mount did you use? I finally got my dream TV for Christmas and I am torn between mounting it to the wall or leaving in on the smallish stand I have.

Comment

We had a 19" tube TV on a mall mount and yanked that out to replace with the cantilever arm.

Here is the link for the slightly smaller arm is here. Mine was approx. $120 and can hold up to 40 lbs.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

Something to note is that the TV does not come back to center when pushed up against the wall. The wall mount side and the TV mount side are off-center by a couple of inches.

BTW, what is your definition of a "dream TV"... I am getting ready to salivate, lol.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jeport
                    We had a 19" tube TV on a mall mount and yanked that out to replace with the cantilever arm.

Here is the link for the slightly smaller arm is here. Mine was approx. $120 and can hold up to 40 lbs.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/OmniM...oductDetail.do

Something to note is that the TV does not come back to center when pushed up against the wall. The wall mount side and the TV mount side are off-center by a couple of inches.

BTW, what is your definition of a "dream TV"... I am getting ready to salivate, lol.

Jim
                    Jim,
                    Thanks for the info. My dream TV is the Panasonic 42" Plasma. I shopped for 3 years and worried that the picture using my analog cable would look bad. All the stores I shopped at the plasma's just didin't look good even with Hi Def feeds. Well all I have to say is WOW! My analog cable looks excellent, DVD's are outstanding and Hi Def TV is simply phenomenal. I bought a $30 antenna and put it in the attic last night and I get 9 high definition channels. My first show I watched in Hi Def was David Letterman and it was amazing. To think that we are back to the 70's with rabbit ears picking up something that sharp. I could go on and on but ....

Comment

Working...
                    X