Running Homeseer on Startup--Multiuser XP-Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running Homeseer on Startup--Multiuser XP-Pro

Hello all, newbie here, so forgive me if this has been addressed before. I have an XP-Pro operating system set up for multiple users. Whenever the system starts up I want Homeseer to be running under a particular user even if that user does not login. I have found that setting this up in Windows Scheduler works except for one problem. Homeseer starts and shows up in the task list but the GUI is not available. Any way I can bring this up? Rerunning HomeSeer just creates two instances...that is no good. Thanks.

Mike

mhiles,

You could put HS in the startup folder for all users and this way no matter who logs on it starts.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Get TweakUI for XP (part of Microsoft Power Toys for XP). It's got a setting to automatically logging in a particular user when the system boots up. Then put Homeseer in the startup folder for that person, and you are all set.

Steve

Comment

There is also a knowledgy base article here that shows how to do it without tweakui:

Autostart HomeSeer Article

-Rich

Comment

Mike

I have been using the 'control userpasswords2'as described by Rich in the post above it works great HS and all my other startup programs auto run on power fail and startup.

BillC

Comment

I use a delay exe to start HS after everything else is started. May not be a big deal but it has been more reliable doing it this way. Still put it in the startup folder but it's delayed by 2 minutes.

Comment

if you put HS in the startup folder for every possible user under XP, wouldn't HS get terminated as a user logs out?

Comment

Stevech,
                Sure would if you log off. I personally do not use logins on my Home Automation PC and no one is allowed on the PC but that rarely is a problem since it doesn't have a keyboard, a mouse, nor a monitor.

Comment

I also run Homeseer on a windows XP Pro computer without monitor, keyboard or mouse, and access it only by remote desktop client.
                  Problem was when I logged out homeseer would stop running. Someone gave me this command to logout of the console and still keep all Apps running. I made an icon on my host's desktop and it works great.

%windir%\System32\tscon.exe 0 /dest:console

~Phil~

Comment

I use a 4 ports KVM switch from Zonet with my HS computer it works fine. I have 1 keboard, video, and mouse for 3 computers and a spare. This solves my problems and clutter as well as the expence of all the monitors, just don't forget as I did when I first started using it you can not copy and paste between machines even with the same keyboard, video and mouse.

BillC

Comment

I use 'srvany', which was orginally part of the NT resource kit.

This allows HS to run as a service, it starts with computer startup - no need to login.

There's no access to the UI though, you have to kill HS from the task manager and start it the normal way, or else use the web interface. This is not normally a problem since running HS as a service is only for unattended power fail restart anyway.

Comment

So I use VNC and never use the keyboard of the home automation computer. It auto-logs-in on boot-up and launches all the Applications under the login. This is XP Pro.

Comment

Working...
                        X