No announcement yet.

Watchdog for my System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim, I came up with the relays over X10 when I still running TM751s and PR511s and my coupler. Those PR511s would occassionally lock up in a constant send mode flooding the powerlines so bad that nothing would work. I think it was a combination of those devices. The PR511s are all gone and my problems ended. But my relays were in by then.... I haven't tried using X10 from the Ocelot and from HS yet. You are ahead of me there. I wasn't sure if you could do that.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
      ... called our next door neighbors ... and had him reboot my PC ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I asked, his response would be "You want me to do what? With what?"
      Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
      My Hardware & Software

Comment

HA HA ...
        -Tom

Visit Kernhome
        Kern Theater Gallery

(User: guest / Pass: guest)

Comment

Just curious but how do you plan on using an appliance module to shut off your PC? If the PC is on a UPS wouldn't you have to wait for the battery on the UPS to drain, to force a reboot? If the appliance module was plugged into an outlet on the UPS, as opposed to the wall, I'd be very surprised if the X10 ever got through to it.

Comment

My friend uses an appliance module on a UPS with the CPU plugged into it - works fine! He also uses the device that Rupp pointed you to to call in and reboot if necessary. Works like a charm!

Comment

On a similar topic, I was wondering if anyone has used, or known anyone that's used one of those UPSs that are built into a standard ATX power-supply? They don't provide a lot of backup time, to be sure, but they do minimize on the mess in my living room. And, since I was thinking of switching to a mini-ITX system, I could get a little more standby time.

I was also wondering if someone's come up with a better system of dealing with ATX-based systems. If my power goes out and then comes back on, I have to hit the power button in order to get the machine to boot. I really miss the old AT PS where you could turn it on and leave it on. What I do now is I have the UPS connected to my Linux router in my utility closet. That's still on an AT mobo, so if the power goes out long enough to drain the UPS, it'll still come up as it should. As it's booting now, it sends a Wake on LAN to my HS/Media server to get it back in motion. But, that can be flaky, and doesn't seem to always work, and I'd rather a better solution.

Thanks.

(Oh, and off-topic, but Steve, that isn't the REAL pledge, just the one you grew up with. The REAL pledge doesn't mention God, as it shouldn't, and actually doesn't even mention the US. Those bits were added by the insane commie-fearin' politicians in the 50s as a attempt to completely reverse everything this nation stands for.)

Comment

Fletch,

JeffCharger mentioned how I would implement the appliance module with a UPS but you made me realize that there is other stuff on the UPS that I do not want turned OFF like the Ocelot!

So, I will need another UPS if I am going to proceed. At this rate, a Secu16 (with relays) may not be that far off.

I still think it would be great if I could get the UPS software to check the PC and restart just the same as if it was powering PC and battery went low.
                Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                My Hardware & Software

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TonyK:

I was also wondering if someone's come up with a better system of dealing with ATX-based systems. If my power goes out and then comes back on, I have to hit the power button in order to get the machine to boot. I really miss the old AT PS where you could turn it on and leave it on. What I do now is I have the UPS connected to my Linux router in my utility closet. That's still on an AT mobo, so if the power goes out long enough to drain the UPS, it'll still come up as it should. As it's booting now, it sends a Wake on LAN to my HS/Media server to get it back in motion. But, that can be flaky, and doesn't seem to always work, and I'd rather a better solution.

TonyK
                  I’ve soldered a capacitor across the power button
                  When the power comes back on the PC powers up on its own

Comment

HardwareHacker,
                    Most all new MB BIOS offer the ability to restart when power is restored. Have you look into that?
                    πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

Yes but it doesn’t always work for some reason
                      The cap works every time

Comment

What size capacitor do you use? I've read of varous sizes, but one that is known to work would be good. My main machine is the ATX type and I need it to restart after power interruptions too.
                        Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

Anything will do
                          I think I used a 10mfd what is impotent is that it is rated at 16 volts or more and you observe the correct polarity
                          You may need to put a resistor across the cap to discharge it on power off.
                          On my PC it discharges through the PC OK

Comment

Is there anyway this can work with laptop? The bios in (most if not all) laptops does not have a reboot on power - on feature.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dan1512302:
                              Is there anyway this can work with laptop? The bios in (most if not all) laptops does not have a reboot on power - on feature. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you using the laptop for anything else or is it a dedicated server?
                              Can you get to back of the power switch?

Comment

The laptop is dedicated to HS and a wireless weather station. I have not tried (dared) to try to get at the toggle switch which turns the laptop on and off.

Comment

Working...
                                X