Announcement

Collapse

Contacting HomeSeer This Week

HomeSeer is open and operational this week. All orders are being processed and shipped as usual. However, some staff are working from home. If you need to contact HomeSeer for support or customer service, please use our Email or Chat options. https://homeseer.com/contact-us/
See more
See less

Watchdog for my System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dan1512302,
    The laptop's battery should run for at least a couple of hours. How amny times has the power gone out for more than a couple of hours?
    -Rupp
    sigpic

Comment

Toggle switch on a laptop?
      Dose it have a different meaning in the US?

Comment

HardwareHacker,
        Not as far as I know. I have a "toggle switch" that I push to turn on the laptop and then push it again to turn it off but I wouldn't attempt to hack my "power button". I get about 7 hours out of my 2 batteries in my Dell laptop and about 2.5 hours out of my Compaq laptop. It's been years since we had a power outage lasting that long.
        -Rupp
        sigpic

Comment

That is not what I understand as a toggle switch
          Maybe I have been calling it by the wrong name for years
          Maybe someone in the UK will put me right
          As for hacking the power button on a laptop
          You will have to direct you comments to Dan he asked the question

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rupp:
            dan1512302,
            The laptop's battery should run for at least a couple of hours. How amny times has the power gone out for more than a couple of hours? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
            My laptop is at my lake home and it has exceeded that time. I have to drive to the lake to reboot my laptop. I also have a UPS and that time has been exceeded. I have to make a trip - about 4 times a year - of course in the winter. What would be nice is to be able to reboot the laptop remoetly or have it restart when the power comes up. I can use x-10 to shutdown the computer but the laptop will not restart unless I press the on - off button which I called a "toggle" switch in my earlier posting.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HardwareHacker:
              That is not what I understand as a toggle switch
              Maybe I have been calling it by the wrong name for years
              Maybe someone in the UK will put me right
              As for hacking the power button on a laptop
              You will have to direct you comments to Dan he asked the question <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should not have used the description "toggle" switch. It is the on -off button on my laptop. Also see my post descrbing the length of time the power is off.
              Thanks

Comment

dan1512302,
                If he lake house is very far away and considering the cost of gas it may be time to by an affordable new desktop. Here's a very good deal on a dell for $439.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs
                -Rupp
                sigpic

Comment

Dan
                  Switching off the PC is not a problem I use a method supplied by Rupp some time ago
                  The reason I asked you if the laptop was a dedicated PC was to find out if you needed to move it around
                  If it is fixed down you could rig up a solenoid to press the button when the power is restored
                  That is why I questioned you about the type of switch on the laptop
                  You would need a control circuit to switch of the solenoid after it had done its job. I find old car central locking motors are good for this sort of thing (in my job I have a good supply)
                  It may sound a bit crude but if would be better than having to drive over just to press a button

Comment

If the place has a telephone, then the X10 telephone controller could be used with a module to actuate a relay or other gizmo to press a button if a button press is all that is needed. Probably depends on just what needs to be done on the laptop to get it to power up and boot.
                    Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

A gizmo that sounds an interesting device
                      Can you get them in the UK?

Comment

Okay. I am back home and do not know why I could not get through router as it looks like it was working fine. However, I am convinced that a restart would have cured what ailed it. So, it now has an appliance module and HomeSeer will turn it off and then back on if HomeSeer cannot ping outside of my home network.

I also upgraded to latest UltraVNC and added 128-bit encryption plugin. So, I can remotely restart HomeSeer or reboot computer. UltraVNC also supports the NT password authentication of Windows XP so I enabled that as well.

This will do for now but I do plan on adding some of the stuff mentioned in this topic and other related topics found on the board.

Thanks all.
                        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                        My Hardware & Software

Comment

Below is the telephone gizmo. It has long been used by system admins to do a power cycle reboot of remote servers. A solenoid probably could be attached to an appliance module to do a remote button push on a laptop if needed.

http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_tr16a.htm
                          Why I like my 2005 rio yellow Honda S2000 with the top down, and more!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Doolittle:
                            Okay. I am back home and do not know why I could not get through router as it looks like it was working fine. However, I am convinced that a restart would have cured what ailed it. So, it now has an appliance module and HomeSeer will turn it off and then back on if HomeSeer cannot ping outside of my home network.
                            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, can you explain exactly how you set this up? I am having the same problem with my router. Are you using DooNetwork to ping with?

Comment

I am using DooNetwork to ping with. You can use that or other network monitoring scripts/plug-ins available. Some other people use a script that tries a hs.getURL. If hs.getURL fails (after a couple of attempts), one could assume that router is locked up.
                              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Working...
                              X