Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with controlling my home theater equipment and having HS devices controlled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rupp
    replied
    Bob,
    The muting of the TV is the easy one. All I did was first to learn the TV remote functions into the Ocelot. Then once this is done a simple event triggered "On first Ring" sends the mute command to my TV. I use the powermids to transfer the IR from the Ocelot(upstairs) to the TV Room (downstairs). The powermids are amazing. I have it actually sitting behind my stereo receive and yet the IR commands still work perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• Blade
    replied
    How would it all hookup using the Ocelot?

For example, I would want to be able to press play on my DVD remote and then the lights would dim to off in the Home Theater room. If I was just watching TV, maybe just have certain lights off and other would be on. Also, pressing pause or stop on the DVD remote would bring the lights back on.

I would also like to pause the DVD player when the phone rings so that we can hear the phone in the room. Is this possible using the Ocelot?

What I really need is to know how I hook up the hardware to do what I have listed above using the Ocelot. I have not used an Ocelot before or attempted any IR control so I am a little confused.

If people could post the uses for an ocelot that would also be great. It always helps when you know some of the cool stuff you can do with a piece of hardware.

Leave a comment:

• fireball
    Guest replied
    The IR to X10 boxes are nice (I've had one for over a year now and love it because it works perfectly) but there are a few limitations with it. First of which is you can only trigger 66 things with it (1-16 on, off, bright, dim, ALL ON, and ALL OFF). Not only that but personally I use quite a few of them to send IR commands from my remote to control lights. Another limitation is it would take a bit longer than an Ocelot. Remote -> IR to X10 -> powerline -> PC picking it up -> HS registering it and then running the script versus Remote -> Ocelot -> HS registering it and then running a script. I also would have had a terrible time trying to find codes for it were it not for an old One For All remote that I've had for years and years.
    On the bright side though, if you don't mind a little bit of a delay and won't be needing to run a lot of scripts those little boxes aren't that expensive (around $30 or so if I remember correctly).

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Bob,
    An Ocelot would work great but I also believe that the USB_UIRT will work as well and I believe it is cheaper. Do a search for the UIRT and I believe you can find some info on that. The nice thing about the Ocelot is it has add on modules if you ever need them.

Leave a comment:

• patsikes
    Guest replied
    I use the IR to X10 box from SmartHome with my Pronto to control the lights in my theatre. I have events setup in HS for the different scenes. When I press watch a DVD, the pronto sends the commands for the equipment and the lights. Press pause and the lights ramp back up, ect.

You can get the IR codes for X10 for the pronto from RemoteCentral.

Leave a comment:

• Blade
    replied
    Rupp,

So I would just need an Ocelot to do all this then?

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Bob,
    If you use an Ocelot or any other IR controller that also receives IR then you can simply trigger all the afore mentioned devices to any state you desire. So of you hit for example play on the DVD player the IR controller can trigger off from that ir signal received and do what you desire via an event.

Leave a comment:

• Help with controlling my home theater equipment and having HS devices controlled

Hi,

I have mutiple switchlinc switches in my home theater room and now I would like to be able to, by using my home theater remotes, control the lighting based on the equipment I am controlling.

For example, when I play a DVD I would like the pot lights and sconces to dim to off and my riser seating rope lights to dim down very low as well as my poster boxe lights turn off. I have all of these devices controlled in HS, but I am not sure what hardware and/or remote I need to use in order to do this. I currently have a Microsoft TC1000 touchscreen remote, which has the ability to do X10 (tho I have not yet checked into it).

I have heard about people using an Ocelot (they are pricy), but I am not sure what the best route is.

Can someone offer any suggestions?
Working...
X