Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edgeport 8-port serial box

Hi,

I finally found a 8-port USB Edgeport from eBay that the seller is willing to ship to Canada. Should have it in a week or so.

Curious to know if there's anything I should make aware of to make it work as smooth as possible? I found on the digi website, 3.20 is the latest version for XP. Finally I can get rid of those USB to serial dongles!

Thanks,
    Simon

Hi Simon,

You might have a look at this old thread: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=102217

Comment

Thank you Shawn for the link, very informative. I sure need to clean up some registry as I have plugged and un-plugged those USB serial dongles many times, who knows what mess I have created!!

Simon

Comment

I have an 8 port box. I downloaded the driver from their website (maybe 10 months ago). I followed their directions and it worked perfectly first try.
        Have never had any glitches with it. I too had used several USB->Serial dongles that were unreliable. With them unplugged, you don't need to edit your registry.

In general, prior USB things are noted in the registry (hidden, but can be displayed with the right trick). But if the device is not plugged in, this registry data is unimportant.

Comment

I have been using 3 4 port units without any problems. Haven't found anything that didn't work with them. Did have to get the latest XP files though.

Great little box.

Comment

I found there were some timing issues with using the serial ports on the Edgeport box with a radio receiver control program I use. (Scanstar.com) There was also some noticeable latency with that application, which uses the Comm ports heavily.

I moved my W800 and X10 interfaces from the system comm ports to the Edgeport box, and placed the radios on the system serial ports, and all of my Scanstar issues disappeared and scanning performance increased. I noticed no change in how my Homeseer stuff responds and performs.

Ed

Comment

In my case, it'll be more for the X10 such as TI103, WGL800, serial control of 2 receivers, DVD changer, rack mount UPS. So hopefully they will all play nicely together.

Can't wait for it to arrive

P.S. I do want to know if the Egdeport requires external power supply? I have no outlet left in the rack!

Simon

Comment

any software that tries to produce critical timing of the RS232 handshake signals like RTS may not work with the Edgeport (or any USB->Serial).

I found this to be true for a very few weird and poorly designed products such as my LaCrosse weather station.

Comment

Originally posted by htsource
                  In my case, it'll be more for the X10 such as TI103,
                  P.S. I do want to know if the Egdeport requires external power supply? I have no outlet left in the rack!
                  I couldn't recall so I went and looked - no external power needed!

Comment

Thank you Shawn!

Steve, I hope the devices I mentioned earlier don't require critical timing. At least the ones on the USB should do fine with the Edgeport.

Happy New Year guys!!

Simon

Comment

Working...
                    X