system tools missing from startup programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system tools missing from startup programs

for some reason I have lost the "system tools" drop-downs when using "start > programs >accessories > ". When I check system 32 the programs appear to be there, but not on the menu.

Suggestions on how to get them back?

Jeff,
    The only way I would know whould be to either do a restore to a data when they were there. Do a system repair, or recreate the shortcuts your self. Wait. Couldn't I just attach a zip of the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories and you should be able to unzip at this directory and get these shortcuts back.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Not sure is this is a security thing are not... Most of those tools are accessable by everyone.

I zipped up my System Tools dir, which is nothing but linked files... Hope it helps.

I'm running XP Pro, if you need them for Win2k, I coukd send those as well.
      Attached Files
      Billy

Comment

Rupp, I thought I could get one in before you while my morning coffe was brewing...

No dice... Looks like we both had the same idea...
        Billy

Comment

thanks Greg, I am doing a defrag right now on that machine, but I'll copy across the shortcuts across. I hadn't thought that it was just the pointers in the settings that might be causing a problem - I bet that's it. Thanks

Comment

Jeff -

Check to see if you have that item enabled: Right-click Start, select Properties, click Customize, select Advanced, and scroll down to the bottom of the Start Menu Items list.

- Dennis Brothers

Comment

thanks bdraper too.

I did notice that the desktop.ini file has different settings - particularly the values at the end of the lines (e.g. -2109). Is it right to copy these across?

Comment

that's the first thing that I checked, but I couldn't find a setting that seemed to exclude those items. I also checked another computer that's fine, and the only checkmark that was missing was "display admin tools". I have checked that now, but can't reboot until my defrag's done.

Comment

I wouldn't use the desktop.ini file, sorry I should have nuked it before sending the zip. Windows will create a new one when you view the directory.

Good luck
                  Billy

Comment

Working...
                  X