Having trouble deciding!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble deciding!!!!

I would like to do the following through Homeseer. Control a 12-zone sprinkler system and have IR control of a Home Theater room including the lighting. I can't decide which of these setups would be best (or if there is another solution).

1. Use an Ocelot to control the HT room with 2 SECU-16 relays for sprinkler control. (most expensive?)

2. Use a USB-UIRT for the HT room and 2 Rain8's for the sprinklers.

3. Another solution I am not thinking of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Steve

SLS,
    The first 2 should work just fine. What is the cost difference between those 2 options?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I think if you look closely at the SECU16 you will see that it cannot handle the valves for the sprinkler system. You could use the SECU-RLY, but the Rain8 solution is so nice that it is hard to beat.

There are some scripts floating around for sprinkler control if you want just the basics to replace a stand-alone timeed controller with one that is Homeseer visable and controllable. mcsControlSytem plugin is at the other end of the spectrum and can account for weather information and measured or calculated moisture levels on a zone by zone basis.

The IR decision really is totally indepedent of the sprinkler decision. The ocelot is a nice solution and you have the added benefit of a very reliable controller that can be used to perform the must-do HA functions that may come up. To take advantage of it you will need to program in CMAX which is not difficult, but just one more thing to learn. You do not need CMAX to do just IR, but at $150+ this is a cadillac for cruising with IR.

The USB-UIRT is relatively new to Homeseer but looks very promising. I know others have used it. I have not so I cannot give good advice on its specific merits and shortcommings.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies. I believe the price difference would be about $100 between the two. Ocelot solution being the higher. As far as the SECU16 I thought I looked at the valve specs and they were .2 amps to hold open. Isn't the SECU16 rated at .5 amps. Maybe I missed something there. I'll look at all the specs again. If I had to go with the high current relays that would push the Ocelot solution price up another $100 or so. I'm not sure my budget would allow that.

Comment

SLS,

The Ocelot and SECU16s are great. I have an Ocelot and several SECU16 and SECU16I modules. I've had zero problems with any of them.

I also have three Rain8s for sprinkler control and they have worked flawlessly as well.

I think either solution will work equally well so it's really just personal preference or whichever is less expensive is cost is a factor.

Comment

I think Michael was referring to the current or power ratings of the relays. Although they may work for a while they may not last. I don't think the SECU relays can handle much current. Also, you are switching inductive loads. This pust more stress on the contacts than a resistive load would. Check the ratings on your water valves then check the ratings of the relays. The relays should be able to handle more power than the device it's switching.

Comment

what is the USB-UIRT ?

Comment

Thanks Rupp.

Make me do all the work...

LOL

You to busy making your way to 1,000,000 posts LOL

Thanks

Comment

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...8&q=USB%2DUIRT
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                  X