X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by Blade
    I thought the transmitters were the ones that sent the IR from the remote to RF and the receiver converted the RF to IR and sent it to the equipment.

Rupp, you have a tonne of transmitters and only two receivers. Do you have that many sources that send out IR signals. WOW
    Bob,
    I get them confused so that's why I quoted and attempted to explain the current function. In my mind the one that sits near the equipment is the transmitter and the one that receives the signal is the receiver but I believe I may have them backward. Either way I have 2 of the ones without an antenna and 7 of the ones with antennas.

Leave a comment:

• Blade
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupp
    You can get them in singles. I currently own 2 "receivers" and 7 "transmitters". Martin sells them separately if anyone needs a separate.

I thought the transmitters were the ones that sent the IR from the remote to RF and the receiver converted the RF to IR and sent it to the equipment.

Rupp, you have a tonne of transmitters and only two receivers. Do you have that many sources that send out IR signals. WOW

Leave a comment:

• kwolter
    replied
    This might be a stupid question, but with both Powermids in the same relative location by your controlled equipment, one being a transmitter and one being a receiver, and both of them ultimately tieing back to another pair in your equipment closet pointing to an Ocelot or USB-UIRT, could you have situation where IR commands are kind of "caught in a loop" from closet to equipment?

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry
    I'm no expert, but I think they broadcast in only one flavor so you should only need a second receiver. Probably need to buy a spare transmitter since I doubt if they are sold separately. If you are going to try it then I would first confirm that the ocelot can see the blaster IR. Should also confirm that all receivers are built the same. Just imagine, however, the factory production problems if they are all built in unique pairs.

You can get them in singles. I currently own 2 "receivers" and 7 "transmitters". Martin sells them separately if anyone needs a separate.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    I'm no expert, but I think they broadcast in only one flavor so you should only need a second receiver. Probably need to buy a spare transmitter since I doubt if they are sold separately. If you are going to try it then I would first confirm that the ocelot can see the blaster IR. Should also confirm that all receivers are built the same. Just imagine, however, the factory production problems if they are all built in unique pairs.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Since you are already using the powermind you can simply put one in the closet and the ocelot will no longer be deaf to IR. $10 more than the X10 solution, but you will not need to find a inconspicuous location for the IR543. If you are trying to control X10 devices anyway rather than getting HS involved with anything then the IR543 fits the bill nicely.
    I thought of using the powermids but I would need a "set" wouldn't I? Currently I have a "transmitter" in the room transmitting to my equipment. I would need to add a "receiver" to the room and a "transmitter" in the closet to talk to the Ocelot. Right?

One of the powermids is hard enough to hide. I have it in a wreath hanging on the wall behind some flowers. My wife didn't even know it was there until we moved the room around about two weeks ago. If you don't tell them they are obvious to a lot of this stuff. Don't ask don't tell works in this case many times.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Since you are already using the powermind you can simply put one in the closet and the ocelot will no longer be deaf to IR. $10 more than the X10 solution, but you will not need to find a inconspicuous location for the IR543. If you are trying to control X10 devices anyway rather than getting HS involved with anything then the IR543 fits the bill nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    So you are indicating that you have the IR receive hardware, but never put it into service and it is easier to go the X10 route. In my case the receive IR has always been available since 90% of my HA user control is via the handheld remote.

I aslo don't care much about light status so if a remote changes it or it is changed locally it does not matter that HS knows about it. As long as HS is listening, however, it might as well update its status based upon the received IR.
    Michael,
    My Ocelot is in my computer closet. I have not way, currently, to get an IR signal from my den to the computer closet. That's what I was attempting to articulate albeit not so well. I do use my ocelot to issue commands though.

Leave a comment:

• Blade
    replied
    Well, just ordered myself a Harmony 880

$219 CDN + $12.95 CDN + GST

It should arrive tomorrow and then the fun will begin

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    So you are indicating that you have the IR receive hardware, but never put it into service and it is easier to go the X10 route. In my case the receive IR has always been available since 90% of my HA user control is via the handheld remote.

I aslo don't care much about light status so if a remote changes it or it is changed locally it does not matter that HS knows about it. As long as HS is listening, however, it might as well update its status based upon the received IR.

Leave a comment:

• jwilson56
    replied
    For me I already had the IR543 before I bought the Slink-e but its easier to leave it that way because the IR543 just plugs into the AC outlet. No IR wires to run back to the Slink-e interface (which is pretty far away). But yes you could use IR receivers if you have them setup.

John

Leave a comment:

• Rupp
    replied
    Why would one who has an Ocelot, UIRT or Slinke that can receive IR, use an IR -> IR543 X10 -> CM11A -> HS path rather than the shorter IR -> Ocelot IR -> HS one?

I can understand the direct X10 control for those that do not have HS involved with keeping status.
    For me Michael, I have an Ocelot but I do not have a way at the moment to get IR back to the Ocelot so it would just be easier to buy the $20 IR-543. Plus I never know the status of any of my X10 switches anyway. I guess if you have a fancy front end that you use a lot it would matter but I never care about the status of my lights. I allow HS to totally control them so the status is evident. Does this make since? I've often wondered why users concentrated on the status of lights. Maybe if I have a light in the attic that I couldn't see I would care but I've not run into the need I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Why would one who has an Ocelot, UIRT or Slinke that can receive IR, use an IR -> IR543 X10 -> CM11A -> HS path rather than the shorter IR -> Ocelot IR -> HS one?

I can understand the direct X10 control for those that do not have HS involved with keeping status.

Leave a comment:

• dantelope
    replied
    You could always set the housecode to a lesser used one and then have HS fire off the desired housecode commands....

Dan

Leave a comment:

• jwilson56
    replied
    Yeah I only wish that those enhanced IR543's didn't cost so much. I guess you could buy another one for a second house code devoted to firing off HS scripts,ect. Right now mine is set for housecode 'A' as we use the IR543 for light control sometimes. It doesn't leave much room to send IR commands to fire off HS 'macro' scripts. I use mine to fire off a script that sets my Sony ES receiver to the proper 'mode' via Slink (there is no discreet IR code to do this). It also announces to 'Sit down and enjoy the movie'... dims all the room lights (through HS).

So this setup allows me to use HS to play out parts of the macro setup that the Hamony remote won't handle on its own. Its a nice added feature...

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X