Need feedback on the Logitech Harmony 680 remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need feedback on the Logitech Harmony 680 remote

I am serious thinking about getting the Harmony 680 remote.

Can anyone who has this remote please comment?

TIA
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

The best place for feedback on this remote is http://www.RemoteCentral.com. They have a Harmony forum.
    http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...rmony/list.cgi

So far there seems to be a lot of trouble with the 680 with respect to charging and the base not being manufactured properly and the LCD going white very quickly. The beauty of the Harmony remote is the innards are the same on all of the 600 series and only the buttons are different. I THINK they have this fixed in a later rev but several people who have recently bought are still getting the older models. There are some really good deals on these with the best deal being right under $200 if memory serves me correctly.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Greg,

I think you are thinking of the 880 that has the charging base problem. The 680 (from what I have read) does not have a base charger.

Here is a jpg of the different Harmony 600 models
      Attached Files
      Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

whoops,
        Your correct. Sorry. I was going to get that model but couldn't find it locally (all sold out) so I found the 659/628 at Sam's club for $99. My wife and kids like this one because it has less buttons and they are bigger which makes them easier to select. There are some good reviews of this remote as well on Remote Central.

Comment

The 680 rocks. I have one that is set to control just about everything in my house including X10 via a X10 reciever. I chose this one so when I added Media PC I would have a remote that would work it without another change.

battery life is good (30-45 days) and my wife and kids love the ease of use (what other method could a 5 year old be able to turn on everything to get a DVD going without a opne touch operation?

Strongly recommend this remote.

Comment

Thanks Kevin.

How are you doing X10 with it? I would like to be able to send out X10 commands thru HS when certain equipment is turned on to dim the lights and such
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

I have set up Macros that control different sequences using the M house Code. I use a X10 IR Reciever I bought from martin at automatedoutlet.com that takes the signal from the Harmony and puts it on the powerline. The Harmony setup allows for X10 devices by Single House Code and then numbers 1-16 so it is a breeze. An example of what I have is M3 turns on All outside lights but only if it is after sundown. When the kids need to walk the dogs at night this triggers the lights.

Another killer feature is you can add X10 sequences to your TV activites so that if you want a certaein light on when the TV is turned on you can add that code to the Harmony sequence and it gets triggered via the IR reciever and sent to the powerline when the Harmony sequence is run -- very versatile overall.

Comment

Kevin,
                What is the name of this IR receiver?

Comment

I use the IR543 in conjunction with my 676

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ir543.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
                    Kevin,
                    What is the name of this IR receiver?

I also want to know what IR receiver you are using
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

IR543 Mini Controller is the reciever I was referencing

The IR543 receives X10 IR codes and retransmits them over you existing house wiring to be received by X10 modules.

Comment

Originally posted by kevingib
                        IR543 Mini Controller is the reciever I was referencing

The IR543 receives X10 IR codes and retransmits them over you existing house wiring to be received by X10 modules.
                        Very cool. The only part I'm confused about is where the X10 signal comes from. Can the 680 generate X10, or does it just send IR to the IR543 and it does some type of mapping to an X10 code?
                        Last edited by kwolter; January 3, 2006, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Yup, I use the IR543 as well to lower/raise lights during movie watching.

BTW, I have a Harmony 880 and have experienced zero base charging problems. Very good purchase at around $180.

Dan

Comment

Can you guys that have these tell us how you "teach" the device to use a particular button on the remote?

Comment

I have been thinking about the 880 as well. Just do not know if I want to fork out that much for color.
                              Cheers,
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X