Need feedback on the Logitech Harmony 680 remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevingib
    Now I understand -- simply add X10 support as the option. The IR543 is made by X10 and simply adding the X10 support tells the remote the format to send the command in. Once the IR543 gets the signal it will determine what the code is and transmit it to the powerline.
    Kevin,
    I'm sorry for being so dense but where do you "add X0 as an option"? This is the home page for the harmony that I see.
    Attached Files
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I was answering via my Treo as I drove my Jeep Wrangler home. I couldn't load both sites at once to tell you the exact terminology.

Anyway here is what I have in my setup

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> Light Controller - X10 Wireless Light Controller (IR-543) </v:shapetype>
      <v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 477pt; HEIGHT: 357.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata cropright=\".1875\" croptop=\"14075f\" o:title=\"\" src="file:///COCUME~1KevinLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
      <v:shape style="WIDTH: 477pt; HEIGHT: 357.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata cropright=\".1875\" croptop=\"14075f\" o:title=\"\" src="file:///COCUME~1KevinLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.png"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
      <v:shape style="WIDTH: 477pt; HEIGHT: 357.75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata cropright=\".1875\" croptop=\"14075f\" o:title=\"\" src="file:///COCUME~1KevinLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.png">I will email you a screen shot since I cant figure out how to paste the stupid site into this message.</v:imagedata></v:shape>

Comment

Rupp-

Login to the harmony site connect your remote.
        Click Add device, Home Automation, Light Controller, X10 Pro, IR543, check all is correct, and you will now have X10 IR controller as a DEVICE to use in activities.

Now adding the IR543 to activities, Pick an activity, use the wizard, pick all the hardware clicking next, UNTIL you see this question: 'Are these the correct settings for this Activity?' - select 'Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity.' -- In the devices not in use section, X10 PRO Light Controller will be listed, add it and then click save.

Here is gets fun, back thru the defaults again, until you get the option to 'Add action for' - select the x10 Light Controler, Add, Send this infrared Command - pick the command you want to use (light1) you will need to go back thru this again to add another x10 Light Controller to then specify "on" or "off" . I used on for the start and off for the exit of an activity.

hope this helps......... it was a long tech support call with Harmony to get all this mastered.

Comment

You all rock. Geez, so many smart people.

I love the Harmony, probably the best gadget I have bought in a long time... And now using this little trick it is even better with the X10 ability.

Now where did I stick my IR543........

Comment

Originally posted by Bkphillips
            Rupp-

Login to the harmony site connect your remote.
            Click Add device, Home Automation, Light Controller, X10 Pro, IR543, check all is correct, and you will now have X10 IR controller as a DEVICE to use in activities.

Now adding the IR543 to activities, Pick an activity, use the wizard, pick all the hardware clicking next, UNTIL you see this question: 'Are these the correct settings for this Activity?' - select 'Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity.' -- In the devices not in use section, X10 PRO Light Controller will be listed, add it and then click save.

Here is gets fun, back thru the defaults again, until you get the option to 'Add action for' - select the x10 Light Controler, Add, Send this infrared Command - pick the command you want to use (light1) you will need to go back thru this again to add another x10 Light Controller to then specify "on" or "off" . I used on for the start and off for the exit of an activity.

hope this helps......... it was a long tech support call with Harmony to get all this mastered.
            Thanks for breaking this down for a slow southerner Now to grab one of these IR543's. This remote does more than I ever knew it could. Thanks again.

Greg

Comment

Yeah I only wish that those enhanced IR543's didn't cost so much. I guess you could buy another one for a second house code devoted to firing off HS scripts,ect. Right now mine is set for housecode 'A' as we use the IR543 for light control sometimes. It doesn't leave much room to send IR commands to fire off HS 'macro' scripts. I use mine to fire off a script that sets my Sony ES receiver to the proper 'mode' via Slink (there is no discreet IR code to do this). It also announces to 'Sit down and enjoy the movie'... dims all the room lights (through HS).

So this setup allows me to use HS to play out parts of the macro setup that the Hamony remote won't handle on its own. Its a nice added feature...

John
              John

Comment

You could always set the housecode to a lesser used one and then have HS fire off the desired housecode commands....

Dan

Comment

Why would one who has an Ocelot, UIRT or Slinke that can receive IR, use an IR -> IR543 X10 -> CM11A -> HS path rather than the shorter IR -> Ocelot IR -> HS one?

I can understand the direct X10 control for those that do not have HS involved with keeping status.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry
                    Why would one who has an Ocelot, UIRT or Slinke that can receive IR, use an IR -> IR543 X10 -> CM11A -> HS path rather than the shorter IR -> Ocelot IR -> HS one?

I can understand the direct X10 control for those that do not have HS involved with keeping status.
                    For me Michael, I have an Ocelot but I do not have a way at the moment to get IR back to the Ocelot so it would just be easier to buy the $20 IR-543. Plus I never know the status of any of my X10 switches anyway. I guess if you have a fancy front end that you use a lot it would matter but I never care about the status of my lights. I allow HS to totally control them so the status is evident. Does this make since? I've often wondered why users concentrated on the status of lights. Maybe if I have a light in the attic that I couldn't see I would care but I've not run into the need I guess.

Comment

For me I already had the IR543 before I bought the Slink-e but its easier to leave it that way because the IR543 just plugs into the AC outlet. No IR wires to run back to the Slink-e interface (which is pretty far away). But yes you could use IR receivers if you have them setup.

John
                      John

Comment

So you are indicating that you have the IR receive hardware, but never put it into service and it is easier to go the X10 route. In my case the receive IR has always been available since 90% of my HA user control is via the handheld remote.

I aslo don't care much about light status so if a remote changes it or it is changed locally it does not matter that HS knows about it. As long as HS is listening, however, it might as well update its status based upon the received IR.

Comment

Well, just ordered myself a Harmony 880

$219 CDN + $12.95 CDN + GST

It should arrive tomorrow and then the fun will begin
                          Cheers,
                          Bob
                          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

So you are indicating that you have the IR receive hardware, but never put it into service and it is easier to go the X10 route. In my case the receive IR has always been available since 90% of my HA user control is via the handheld remote.

I aslo don't care much about light status so if a remote changes it or it is changed locally it does not matter that HS knows about it. As long as HS is listening, however, it might as well update its status based upon the received IR.
                            Michael,
                            My Ocelot is in my computer closet. I have not way, currently, to get an IR signal from my den to the computer closet. That's what I was attempting to articulate albeit not so well. I do use my ocelot to issue commands though.

Comment

Since you are already using the powermind you can simply put one in the closet and the ocelot will no longer be deaf to IR. $10 more than the X10 solution, but you will not need to find a inconspicuous location for the IR543. If you are trying to control X10 devices anyway rather than getting HS involved with anything then the IR543 fits the bill nicely.

Comment

Since you are already using the powermind you can simply put one in the closet and the ocelot will no longer be deaf to IR. $10 more than the X10 solution, but you will not need to find a inconspicuous location for the IR543. If you are trying to control X10 devices anyway rather than getting HS involved with anything then the IR543 fits the bill nicely.
                                I thought of using the powermids but I would need a "set" wouldn't I? Currently I have a "transmitter" in the room transmitting to my equipment. I would need to add a "receiver" to the room and a "transmitter" in the closet to talk to the Ocelot. Right?

One of the powermids is hard enough to hide. I have it in a wreath hanging on the wall behind some flowers. My wife didn't even know it was there until we moved the room around about two weeks ago. If you don't tell them they are obvious to a lot of this stuff. Don't ask don't tell works in this case many times.

Comment

Working...
                                X