Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with IR control of equipment behind me

Hi,

I am very close to pulling the trigger and buying a Harmony 880 remote control but the problem I am facing is that all of my equipment is a little behind me in my theater room. So I would have to always point the remote behind me to control everything.

Is there a better (and cheap way) to resolve this so that I can aim the remote in front of me and it will still hit all of my equipment without any issues.

I have attached a picture of what my room looks like so you can see what I mean by the equipment being behind me a little.

I was wondering if I could use these to accomplish it:

http://www.automatedoutlet.com/produ...1&cat=0&page=1

I currently have one transmitter and two receivers that I use to send IR signals out from my USB UIRT to control my blinds in my kitchen and this works great. Will it work if I were to use 2 or more transmitters?

Also, I noticed that on the back of the receiver there is a spot to plug in something. Is this where I could plugin a IR distribution block and then take an IR emitter and attach it to each component? If so, what all would I need?

I would appreciate some guidance on this from people that are already past this hurdle.

TIA
    Attached Files
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Bob,
    The powermids are exactly what I was going to suggest especially if they have worked for you in the past. What you will need though is a "receiver" to receiver the Harmony's commands and a "transmitter" to transmit the commands to the equipment. Yes the plug that is on the side can be used to plug in a mouse emitter that you can attach to your equipment.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      Bob,
      The powermids are exactly what I was going to suggest especially if they have worked for you in the past. What you will need though is a "receiver" to receiver the Harmony's commands and a "transmitter" to transmit the commands to the equipment. Yes the plug that is on the side can be used to plug in a mouse emitter that you can attach to your equipment.

Greg,

What mouse emitter is best to use and how can I split it and take a separate emitter to each component?
      Cheers,
      Bob

Comment

Bob,
        This is the mouse emitter I use with mine in my wiring err junk closet.
        http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/produ...roducts_id=667

I'm not sure if they make more than 2 but other users that are more IR savvy can chime in.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I tried the Powerminds and they did not last through the day because those coneheads did not blend well enough so they would be "transparent" to the wife. I was able to negotiate the attached pickup head that is only about 3/4" high. It sets on top of a front speaker. There are two emitters in front of it. One from the Ocelot and one from MCE. The handheld remote is also directed toward it.

The output of the receiver goes to a powered IR distribution block and then wired to mouse heads to all the equipment. Any mouse head will work, but I prefer the blinking type so I get visual feedback. The dual head type are also nice to reduce the wire runs. I obtained most of mine from Worthington Distribution. I've also got a bag of 10 non-blinking ones from a surplus outfit which I think was Electronics Goldmine for close to nothing. I have a 10 port Xantech IR distribuiton block. I started with 4 and outgrew it. Use a good power supply for this block.

I use Cat5 to route under the house and back up to the desired equipment locations. 30 ft is a typical run. The distance will not matter. It is also possible to get the IR entension cables at about $5/25 ft, but I prefer the sturdier Cat 5 bundle for snaking.
          Attached Files

Comment

Bob, are you sure you need anything? (dumb question: you must have tried it).

I notice that you have a projector. I will assume that means that you have screen? My screen was glass-beaded (Scotch-Bright paint) and reflected the IR like a mirror. I just pointed the remote at the screen, and it was able to hit the receiver, VCR and DVD player behind me in the corner.

Another thought: Seeing where your equipment is, you could also place a mirror in a corner, strategically angled.

Comment

rocco,

I just purchased the Harmony 880 today and it will be here tomorrow so I have not tried it out in the room yet but my guess is that it will not bounce off of the screen . The only piece of equipment that might work if it bounced off the screen would be the projector. The other equipment is off to too much of an angle I think in order to get the IR signal.

Hmmm... I will have to be creative.

<b>Michael</b>, I should have no issue with placing a powermid on top of one of the front speakers because my speaker are built into the wall and the whole front wall (that contains my 100" screen) is painted flat black. So it should be hidden quite well.

See attached picture...
              Attached Files
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

Try this, covers an entire rack

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.ph...rdcdID=FG01023

I got one from a Guy in BC (as I know you are a fellow Canuck) off Ebay. It's also nice 'cause you dont obscure any IR windows and can swap out equipment at will (has anyone had any luck re-sticking IR emitters?) You just need a reciever at the front end and a connecting block somewhere in-between.

Comment

I have about the same setup as yours, and I use the Marmitek EasyTouch 35 RF remote with the powermid receiver in the hifi closet.

Since it's a RF remote, I don't need the powermid emitter.

Works very well like this, and as it's RF I don't need to point the remote to any specific location. If I need to, I can control everything from any room.

The Hifi equipement gets the IR signal with the help of the power-mid receiver, and homeseer gets the signal from the remote through the W800RF32 in the attic.

stipus
                  --
                  stipus

Comment

Working...
                  X