FilterLinc and the Fridge: Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FilterLinc and the Fridge: Results

It's taken quite a bit of detective work. But, it appears that my known X10 problem has been resolved... Interesting "second conclusion," too. (See the end.)

The short of it... Putting a FilterLinc on the fridge resolved the problems.

This was my test procedure:

1. Fridge was off, but plugged in.
    2. Send a test signal from the PLC in the office, through the Smarthome Manager software, every 1 second.
    3. Attached the TesterLinc to the garage power strip I've been using for testing.
    4. All signals received. Quality not noted.

5. Turned the fridge on.
    6. All signals received. Quality was in the 90's.

7. Changed the software to send a test signal every 3 seconds.
    8. Some signals were getting messed up with a BSC (bad start code), or BBK (bad block). Others would make it through ok.

9. Unplugged the fridge.
    10. All signals received. Quality was 130.

11. Plugged the fridge back in.
    12. Some signals were getting messed up with a BSC (bad start code), or BBK (bad block). Others would make it through ok.

13. Installed the FilterLinc on the fridge. (Had to use a 1' extension cord because of the way the plug and FilterLinc is designed: www.powerstripsaver.com)
    14. All signals received. Quality was 130.

Conclusion: The fridge creates enough noise to mess up the full X10 packet. However, about 50% of the time, the full X10 packet would make it through ok.

Secondary conclusion: Test signals should be delayed, or different delays should be used. Using 1 second exclusively does not produce a valid test scenario.

Eric

The PowerLInc USB I have comes with a test program that displays an X10 quality figure. I've yet to find any documentation for this software (none supplied) - so that the meaning of the quality figure is explained, as well as a quality threshold setting.

Is the PowerLinc USB + this test software a viable alternative to the TesterLinc?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevech
      Is the PowerLinc USB + this test software a viable alternative to the TesterLinc?
      I think it would depend upon your situation. You'd be limited to testing from one location, unless you used a laptop. I've found the TesterLinc invaluable.

IMO, there are two things that would make the TesterLinc hands-down the most cost effective tester:

1) In addition to the Quality, a mode that would show the voltage.
      2) A signal generator.

But, neither of those missing items are a show-stopper. Especially if you already have a PowerLinc that you can temporarily use for testing.

Eric

Comment

yes, I'd use a laptop with the PowerLinc.
        Insteon claims that the test program "Synapse" is not their product even though they put it on the CD included with PowerLinc. Synapse is the program that I have that displays a quality assessment done by the PowerLinc, but no where is it defined what this quality number means.

They also discouraged me from purchasing a TesterLinc - I guess because they are urging people to go away from X10.

Insteon's own PowerLIne protocol is, they say, vastly superior to X10. But I wonder if it would really make a difference given the recently-appearing intermittent noise problems I see - perhaps from a neighbor's AC lines. I mean, there's no magic in PLC.

Comment

Fridge

What make and model?
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman
            What make and model?
            Kenmore 74252

Comment

Synapse is the program that I have that displays a quality assessment done by the PowerLinc, but no where is it defined what this quality number means..
              Probably the same thing it means on the TesterLinc. You can grab the TesterLinc manual and read about it..

They also discouraged me from purchasing a TesterLinc - I guess because they are urging people to go away from X10.
              They recommended the Elk to me. I would like to know the voltage. But, I'll tell you... I don't think I would have been able to diagnose the problem with the fridge as easily with the Elk. I like my TesterLinc, and would buy it again without question.

Insteon's own PowerLIne protocol is, they say, vastly superior to X10. But I wonder if it would really make a difference given the recently-appearing intermittent noise problems I see - perhaps from a neighbor's AC lines. I mean, there's no magic in PLC
              Remember, INSTEON has an RF component.

Eric

Comment

The Quality and Signal numbers displayed by Synapse from the PowerLinc USB are unchanging as I transmit with two different X10 transmitters at different locations in the house. Makes me wonder.

I'll have to go read about Insteon's RF. I thought it was only for phase bridging, not in every device module.

Comment

I'll have to go read about Insteon's RF. I thought it was only for phase bridging, not in every device module.
                  Right now, I believe its only use is for phase bridging.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                  X