Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Download statistics about plugins displayed on the updater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download statistics about plugins displayed on the updater.

Rick/Rich,
    Would it be possible to add the sales and download statistics beside each plugin? This would allow all users to know which is the more popular downloads. Sorta like 2 Cows or any another download site that shows which are the most popular downloads?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Am I the only one desiring to see this? Looks that way doesn't it.

Comment

I would be curious to see the sales statistics. The download statistics, I'm not sure. I think that many of us will download a plugn just to try it (out of curiosity) and never wind up purchasing it.
      --------------------------------------------------
      **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

I think the app providers should chime in here as well. If people can see sales statistics on my pay for plugins then I think HST should also show specific sales statistics on HomeSeer sales.

For the same reason that HST would be reticent to show specific sales stats on HomeSeer sales (HST is a private company) I would also (as a 'private' company) would not want my product, without my permission, shown in that manner. Small companies may also not want it very public knowledge on how many 'developers', 'managers', marketing people, sales, etc, that they have for the same reasons. If HST has 2 or 200 people developing the product does that make a difference to you on a purchase decision. It shouldn't should it.

I'm speaking as an ex software developer that has worked in both private and public software firms.

If you like a plugin, buy it. If you don't don't. It shouldn't matter how popular it is! If it has utility for you then it's worth the money. I may like Vargas as an artist and will pay big bucks for his works. You may think that his stuff is only good to line your birdcage with!

My 2 cents,
        George Photakis

Comment

Wow George,
          I know personally when I'm looking for a new plugin to try/buy that if 75 people have purchased it, then it must be good but if only 2 have bought it, well I'll probably pass. I know when I down load software from a site like 2 cows I go to the most popular downloads because if that many people like it - it must be good. There are exceptions, but this rule of thumb is generally good. Your comment about Vargas as an artist is a lot different than plugins? There are millions of artists but only 35 plugins. I would think as a developer you would love to see the stats shown on the software you develop. One thing most of us have done on this BB is forget the new user. This would be an excellent way of getting them drawn to your plugin. I understand that certain plugins are niche plugins and the sales will not be that high but what does it hurt if only 3 copies have sold? If it's a killer plugin, like the motion sensor plugin, with a lot of sales then that would indicate to me it must be good and plenty of people are using it. To each his own I guess.

PS. I would think that HS would be more than happy to advertise their sales. Well on second thought if sales are good people like to advertise them if there bad they don't. So maybe you have a good point.

How about a user rating system instead?

Comment

A plugin rating system in the updater sounds like a great idea to me. I think it covers the info Rupp is really after (is it good or not) and would be helpful info.

Comment

Now that I could agree with. A rating systems (like the 1-5 stars that can be assigned to threads on this board) would really show what users think about a plugin. Rupp hit my concern on the head. Just because a niche plugin only has 3 sales does not mean that it's not the best plugin out there. It is only indicative that 3 people bought the hardware that it supports. Relying only on sales or downloads to 'rate' a plugin would do a disservice to others that might be just as good.

Comment

And a user rating, rather than a sales rating, would include free plug-ins fairly. I consider UltraJones' UltraLog plug-in to be almost a "must have", but when I was a newbie, I had a hard time finding it since it wasn't available in the updater back then. I am glad that HS allows popular free plugs a slot in the updater!

Comment

OK, I'll bite.

The concerns I see are... The server that stores the ratings now needs to have write access somewhere to store the ratings. There would have to be a way to make sure one person does not rate the plug-in/script high multiple times (e.g. app providers raising the ratings of their own plug-ins), and that means more development which means development away from HS.

Yes, it would be incorrect for us to post the sales statistics. There are two similar plug-ins that compete today for WebCam interfacing. If the two were both by a third party provider, then the one showing a lower number of sales is only going to create a landslide in the other direction, and that is just due to the number of people who do purchase based upon the opinions of others rather than doing their own evaluation. With one being ours and one being a third party, it becomes uncomfortable if ours wins and drives the other out of business. If it is two third-party providers, then you have created a reality software program where one eventually gets voted off the island! (Also not good for promoting many diverse plug-ins and scripts.)

So, I don't see a real easy solution here except what is already in place, and that is the discussion forum dedicated to the plug-in where people can read about the plug-in from other people's posts, and post questions to the author or other users. That combined with the built-in trial period seems (IMHO) to be the best way to handle this.
                  Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Working...
                  X