Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HomeSeer Server Locking Up ... McShield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HomeSeer Server Locking Up ... McShield?

Several times now my HomeSeer Server locked up. Thought it was a bad video card because the PC seemed to be running but monitor claimed that there was no signal. Took out my ATI card and started using the on-board video. PC locked up again. Rebooted and watched Task Manager.

Three programs were using the most memory: HomeSeer/hs_compatibility/plug-ins, McShield, and javaw. The last one was for a Java program running. McShield is McAfee.

I had been using Norton but it was a resource hog but not nearly like McAfee. McAfee seemed to always use some resources but after recent updates it seems like a recent update made things worse. An IT guy told me to try F-PROT as it uses less resources. I have McAfee for 11 more months. It was free after rebates and is good for three PCs.

With McAfee, I can disable ActiveShield which I did and CPU went back to typical 30-40% level. If I do not open emails with suspect attachments, I suppose I do not need the email protection.

While in the process of turning things off. I also noticed that Windows Firewall was on and I turned it back off (I rely on NAT firewall). I suspect that McAfee turned it on for me during its installation.

I will search internet for what I can do to keep as much of McAfee running as possible. Anyone else have suggestions?

BTW, I suppose I can put my ATI card back. Would that provide any performance improvement over using on-board or the fact that I am adding a PCI card already creates a resource drain?
    Last edited by Jim Doolittle; January 6, 2006, 12:59 PM.
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

Shoot! Just as I finished the last post, my PC locked up again with what appeared to be a steady 30-40% CPU. No McShield, no Java. Any troubleshooting suggestions?
    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
    My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,

As an aside, I use McAfee too and watched my HS system shut down when an automated update was run by McAfee.

Anyway, I have had problems in the past similar to yours, except my CPU (P4) maxed out. I eventually determined that it was because HS failed to communicate with the CM11A (because the CM11A was failing). Any chance something similar could be occurring?

Comment

I have had my CM11A for years so I would not rule that out. Since it seems this is occurring more frequently, then I might run without HS2, then HS2 without CM11A, ...

I don't believe that McAfee is the root cause of the problem but after I do figure it out I will still likely not let ActiveShield run with 30% CPU.
        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
        My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,
          The rule of thumb is a lock up on Win XP is 99.9% of the time caused by hardware/drivers. Software should not lock the entire PC up. I struggled with a similar problem for months back when I built my HS server. When HS was running it would lock up. No HS no lockup. Rich kept saying software software doesn't lockup a PC. It turns out he was right but software can exacerbate the problem. My on board USB device was causing the problem probably because of some MB hardware problem. I bought an add on USB card and haven't had a single lockup since. Try re seating your memory and all PCI cards. Also make sure one of the recent updates didn't change your video card driver.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I agree with Rupp. I run McAfee on a clean HS2 system and have absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Dan

Comment

Rupp, your comment about software exacerbating the problem is correct. I suspected that a plug-in was contributing to the problem so I started removing one at a time. Seems that the problem has gone away after removing the first one. It happens that the plug-in controlled a device that uses a USB -> RS232 adapter. I have another USB -> RS232 that I will try with this plug-in and see if I narrow down to that specific adapter.

I would have suspected hardware if I would have seen a blue screen. I have seen momentary blue screens that cause a reboot (after reboot after reboot) and a "permanent" blue screen but never black screen. I suppose if the hardware problem caused video to crap out, then you would indeed see a black screen.
              Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
              My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim. Try using the free adaware programs:
                www.lavasoft.com: Click on "Dowloads" on the left side, then "ad-aware SE" on the right side.
                www.safer-networking.org: Spybot Search and Destroy.

I also enable the Teatimer in Spybot, which stops and asks me if I want to allow [whatever] to make the registry change it is trying to make. This has saved me many times.

McAfee is good, but seems to miss these adware type of infections.

I find that one program will catch some stuff, but it takes both to catch 99.999% of the infections.

Good Luck.
                A computer's attention span is as long
                as it's powercord.

Comment

McAfee

Jim,

I've used McAfee for a year or more with no problem. With antivirus, firewall, media center, HS2, and the dynamic IP updater all running I average about 16 - 17% of CPU. I did, however, have a very similar problem with a USB - serial converter a while back. Can't remember the brand, but the driver for it was a nightmare and kept locking the system up. Returned it and just added a serial IO card that works much better.

Good luck with it!

Joe
                  Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Well, after many lockups and restarts, I may have narrowed it down to the USB connection for my UPS. I will run overnight to confirm as I could go as long as a day or so before encountering a lockup.

I have all kinds of Windows XP logging enabled. Sure wish there was a better tool than trial-and-error.
                    Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                    My Hardware & Software

Comment

Jim,
                      USB is exactly what caused all of my problems on my server when I built it. I bought an add on USB card and haven't had a problem since.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have a monitor w/ 4 port USB plugged into one motherboard USB and a Belkin 4 port hub connected to the other motherboard USB. Nothing is plugged into the monitor's USB ports but the Belkin has three:
                        • 1 ByteRunner USB -> 2 RS232
                          • CM11A
                          • Beta Brite
                        • 1 Byte Runner USB -> 2 RS232
                          • TEMP08
                          • empty
                        • APC UPS
                        I also have a single port RS232 card with MR26A and a single motherboard RS232 with Ocelot connected.

That's about it. I have been running with this configuration for nearly a year and a half. I suppose a Windows Update could have changed something. I have not knowingly updated any drivers.

My previous post was premature. I had a lockup with UPS disconnected. I tried running with no USB connected but got impatient. I suppose I'll try that again. I have no problem going to get a USB card but I only have one USB (UPS) so I think I would be better with a 4 port RS232 card.

Actually, I would be better with a new PC but that is about 6 months away right now.
                        Jim Doolittle

My Twitter
                        My Hardware & Software

Comment

I run a UPS monitor, An ATI RF remote and a IOnetworks 8 port RS232 all off off of the MB USB (using 3 of 4 ports). Never have had any hang up of HS. Runs for months (probably for ever) if I don't touch it.

Comment

Working...
                          X