Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When running speaker wire across basement ceiling...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When running speaker wire across basement ceiling...?

OK, I'm installing some 16-guage 4-conductor speaker wire today. Fished it through the first floor kitchen wall (where one of our remodelling contractors broke through with a small hole anyways)... and I'm now ready to run it across my basement ceiling over to the PC.

I'm looking at what the best path might be.

What rules should I follow, in order to protect sound quality?

I'm pretty sure I should only cross other wires perpendicularly... and that I should keep the wire as far away as possible from any flourescent lights, right?

Anything else?

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Dave,
    Unless you are a hi fidelity freak you an pretty much run it any way you desire. If it's a heavy guage wire you shouldn't have any sound quality problems. I would if I could avoid running it parallel (within a couple of inches) of powerlines but sometimes even this can be avoided.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, Rupp!

I'll keep this in mind!

-= Dave =-

Comment

Unless your into oxygen free copper wires and want all your speaker cables the same length etc and need to check sun spot activity. Then as Rupp said just try and keep them away from mains cables. About ten years ago,a friend of mine set up a small test in his front room, and neither of us could tell the difference from his normal speaker wire and 3amp mains wire, they where both of about the same thickness. We did notice a difference in treble response using thinner wire. But we where using some pretty high end Hi-FI components, the cd player was an old meridian one, I think, with sepearte DAC box, the amp was a home built one with all components checked to make sure they where within 1% of actual rating. The speakers where also home built.
        The conclusions we came to where that on an ordinary Hi-Fi the differences would probably not be that noticable. And mains wire is cheaper than speaker wire.
        Here are some links to sites explaining about speaker wire http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
        and here is another http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...er_cables.html
        Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
        X