OT - Firewall - Virus Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT - Firewall - Virus Protection

Since I switched from IE to Firefox (and I avoid AOL/Hotmail et al), I've had no spyware/virus issues. I do run Norton Anti-virus (not the full suite) but I don't think it has ever alarmed.

Comment

Brent,
      I'm in the same boat as you are. I totally rely on my routers firewall and do not run any firewall or virus software on my HS server. I haven't since I started and haven't had a problem. I do not surf or read email on that machine nor do I surf the internet using that machine. So far so good.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Good to know, I was about to sign up for AOL, they seem to have all the virus stuff available.... lol

Comment

I use a product called a Fortinet Fortigate 50A. It's a firewall that has built in virus protection. It updated every hour (if available) and scans every bit of traffic, both in and out! A little pricey but worth it because it doesn't use any resources and the updates are far better than Norton and some others. If you were to go with a software based solution, check out Grisoft!

Comment

that company has some very impressive toys ~> $28,796.00...

Essentially the lower lines are what I have a leftover Pent2 500 linux server - basically designed to be a firewall with extra options.

Comment

Yes, they do have some very nice "toys" but they are worth it....

I think my 50A with 2 years of virus updates and spam protection was around 800 bucks. Considering it stops all sort of things before it gets to my network and doesn't require any resources on my computers, it's worth it to me.

I use the Fortiguard 200 at work and we love it! What's so great about their products is that the web interface is the same for all the models so I don't have to learn something new for every firewall I put in place (I'm in IT and do a lot of local companies networks).

Your option with Linux is also a good idea. A older computer running something like IPCop or Clark Connect is a good option and frontline of defense!

Comment

Hi Brent
                I also use the Smoothwall firewall and no other virus/spyware protection on my HS pc and so far have had no problems and I although connected to the internet is not usually used for browsing etc. The added bonus is that Smoothwall seems to stay up for ever!! I think the only time I have had to reboot was when I wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                X