chkdsk keeps running on boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chkdsk keeps running on boot

How do I stop the automatic running of Recovery Console Chkdsk on bootup? At some point I answered a question that asked "do you want to run chkdsk on the next startup?"

It jumps into the chkdsk, finishes without issue, but I can't get out of the finish screen.... The only way out seem to hard boot and it starts all over again.

Is this on the drive having errors?

Comment

yes it is

Comment

Ahh but didnt you say that drive was dying? if so you may have left it too late.. hence the continual checking.

Could try safe mode or swapping the drive and seeing if you can recover some of the data after.. Good luck..

Comment

Well, I think I have done this to myself. I did have some disk errors, but they were found and fixed. When I ran Chkdsk from the Recovery Console it said something like "it's busy, do you want to run when it boots next time?" I said "yes", now it does it continuously. Is there a way to tell it to NOT do it automatically?

In fact the "chkdsk /r" runs fine now, it takes a few hours, runs 5 checks, and says that the disk is clean.

I was out of town, and left it running the chkdsk and came home to the successful finish. But I can't get out of the "finish" screen. How do you exit the Chkdsk screen?

Comment

just found this - haven't tried it yet....will right now

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=h...675%2fen-us%2f

UPDATE: it doesn't look like this applies, it's for NT and when I look in the registry under the entry they direct me to, it doesn't show the appropriate entry. I am running XP Pro, so maybe it's different.

Comment

Jeff.

You could try a 3rd party tool, something like Norton Disk Doctor. This may be able to fix it.

Phill

Comment

Save what you can before it is too late....

Comment

Working...
                X