Volume Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume Controls

I think I want to add Impedence Matching Volume controls in a couple of my basement rooms. I have 8 speakers and 4 rooms.

Cardroom/Tv area: 3 speakers
    Pool/ping pong area: 3 speakers
    Kids playroom: 1 speaker
    Den: 1 speaker

Now I WAS going to homerun wire from each of these speakers back to my wiring closet to hook into the amp. But how do I include volume controls? If I put a volume control in the Cardroom/Tv area, do I run a wire from each of the 3 speakers to this volume control, and then 1 wire from the volume control back to the amp/wiring closet?

I feel dumb, but what is the difference between wiring speakers in parallel or in series?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Originally posted by rknuppel
    I feel dumb, but what is the difference between wiring speakers in parallel or in series?
    This should help answer your question: Series vs. Parallel Wiring

The Pod

Comment

Good article. Assume your speakers are the standard 8 ohms. If you have a monaural amp, it'll be a mess trying to individualy control each room with inline volume controls because to achive that impedance, you'll need a complex combination of series and paralell connections to get that 8 ohms. It won't be much better with a stereo amp. In either case, the volume pads won't give you the control you want anyway, because the speakers will seem to be one or two speakers when wired for 8 ohms and changing one volume setting in any room will affect all of them.

2 options.
      a. A seperate amp for each room. For the rooms with 3 speakers, wire 2 in parallel and the 3rd in series with them. 2 in parallel will give you 4 ohms and adding the 3rd to them in series will give you 8 ohms for the 3. The room with the single speakers take care of themselves.
      b. The easy way. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-610
      This is what I did. I know, no local room control but it works rock-solid and you won't kill your amp.

ALWAYS do home runs. Technology changes and gets cheaper. I'd call partsexpress.com to check but I THINK you can parallel-connect the rooms with 3 speakers. However, I would still connect 2 in parallel and series the 3rd in for 8 ohms. It's simple. Please advise if you need a pic.
      Last edited by jay; January 12, 2006, 06:20 PM. Reason: more...

Comment

Thanks for the messages. Unfortunately I really need local volume control for the rooms. The WAF will be way down without that. So you don't think it will work to run my 3 speaker room with 2 in parallel and 1 in series from my local volume control. then the volume control back to the amp? I'm not sure I understand why the volume control wouldn't work.

Comment

How many speaker outputs does your amp have? Is it stereo?

Comment

I have this little thing:

http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-800.htm

So it does have multiple speaker outputs.

Comment

not doing stereo ? look into 70v sound distribution

this is what many commercial systems use for background music and PA

here's a link to a basic description . . .

http://www.epanorama.net/index2.php?...ts&index=audio

Pete C

I love my country, but fear my government.

Comment

Working...
              X