Can you get a TV Card for a Laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you get a TV Card for a Laptop?

Can you get a TV Card for a Laptop? I would prefer an internal one, but an external would do as well....

Not sure of specifics but I know I've seen USB tuner cards at CompUSA.

Comment

Hauppauge sells several external USB tuners, and CompUSA does indeed carry a few others.
      HSPRO 2.4 (ESXi 4.1) | my.Alert NEW | my.Trigger | HSTouch | ACRF2 | UltraM1G | BLWeather | BLLan | Rover
      (aka xplosiv)
      Do You Cocoon? Home Automation News, Tutorials, Reviews, Forums & Chat

Comment

Jeff,
        One warning about the USB capture cards. I tried one out about a year ago on a USB 1.1 connection and the best I could get out of it at 320X240 was a few frames per second. The USB 1.1 was just too narrow bandwidth to carry the video. Now this might have changed with the new USB 2.0.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I was just looking at the high end Adaptec USB boxes at Circuit City. I have read several good reviews on these and plan on getting the high end Adaptec USB unit. Got some old kiddie movies to convert but really want the TV features too.

Comment

I recently picked up the Adaptec Media Center USB 2.0 and plugged it into my new Eurocom touchscreeen PC (which is basically a laptop). See Touchscreen/PC/TV . You can see it on the lower left of photo.

It is USB 2.0 and supposedly puts out 720x480. When running it full screen on a 15" touchscreen, the picture quality is not as good as a good TV, but I find it acceptable. It is a significant improvement over my USB 1.1 version of Hauppauge WinTV. I wonder if PCI tuners do better? The Media Center has a remote and does the "pause live TV" thing.

I've haven't heard of a PCMCIA TV tuner, but it might exist somewhere.

Mark
            Mark

Comment

Mark, have you tried to record analog TV like a VCR to digital to make DVDs? That's what I'm hoping it does well. On some of the other brands, people were complaining about things like the audio not matching the video.
              Please post how things go with this unit if you can. I won't buy for a couple of weeks until my tax refunds come back so any info is appreciated.

Comment

I have experimented with recording, but I don't intend to do it much. Haven't tried to burn DVD's for lack of a DVD writer on the Eurocom. However, the recorded MPEG quality looks pretty good with default settings. I'd be happy to e-mail you a few seconds of MPEG file, but I won't without your nod because only a few seconds is about 5 MB. Recorded audio and video are perfectly synched, at least with my system.

Mark
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X