No announcement yet.

Black & Decker Outdoor Lamp Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm no veteran other than to the vagaries of X-10. I do however, have 20+ of the outdoor plugin modules, most of which were purchases from Smarthome for $9.99 ea as one of their "hot deals". I use them mostly for outdoor lighting but also have several controlling daily schedules for various pond and waterfall pumps ranging from 75 to 900 watts. I've had them for about a year and have yet to have one fail.

Also, for anyone still stumbling over assigning unit codes, this excerpt for the device is from the Smarthome website http://www.smarthome.com/2000BE.html under Details & Specifications: "... or if you're using an X10 controller to set up and control the module, press the controller's ON button four times for the device code you want to set the module to. The red light on the module will blink once to acknowledge that programming is complete."

The only drawback with these is that they're programmable the first 30 seconds you plug one in. It's not normally an issue, but you'll be scratching your head for awhile if someone is leaning on controller keys somewhere in your household during that initial period.

Comment

Okay, I guess I need some help...

So I recently bought 3 of the b&d freewire outdoor bundles (2 outdoor modules, a remote, a messenger hub and a lamp receiver in each) for $15 each...

Everything seems great, but I guess there are some concepts I don't understand...

So I followed the instructions (I think) but programmed all the outdoor modules to the same unit code...and hooked up all my outdoor lights...

So I bought a TI103 interface for Homeseer and setup it up.

But I don't get the expected results...

I know the interface works, because I can hear it switch the messenger hub off and on just fine (it's set to a different unit code).

What am I misunderstanding?

Comment

I think you need to program a module then disconnect it then program the next module and disconnect it etc.

After programming all the freewire modules make sure you remove the messenger hub from your system so that just HS is switching the devices.

Maybe the messenger hub is confusing the system ?

I just have a cm11a so I can't speak to the act interface.

Neil
        Neil
        Newmarket Ontario

Comment

For the canadian folks out there...

I just bought some modules myself today. I got them from Princess Auto in Ottawa.

(they're real cheap ! but sold as surplus items so I guess the quantities are limited...)

Comment

Originally posted by nsisman View Post
            I think you need to program a module then disconnect it then program the next module and disconnect it etc.

After programming all the freewire modules make sure you remove the messenger hub from your system so that just HS is switching the devices.

Maybe the messenger hub is confusing the system ?

I just have a cm11a so I can't speak to the act interface.

Neil
            Well, that does appear to be the issue.

I removed the messenger hub and presto, now Homeseer is controlling a couple of the receivers correctly...

Can anyone provide a more thorough explanation of what's going on?

In particular, I am wondering if there is any way to still use the messenger hub for its local control functionality? I tried changing its house code, but it still blocked direct control of the receivers programmed through it (I think)...

Comment

Originally posted by eufreka View Post
              So I recently bought 3 of the b&d freewire outdoor bundles (2 outdoor modules, a remote, a messenger hub and a lamp receiver in each) for $15 each...

Everything seems great, but I guess there are some concepts I don't understand...

So I followed the instructions (I think) but programmed all the outdoor modules to the same unit code...and hooked up all my outdoor lights...

So I bought a TI103 interface for Homeseer and setup it up.

But I don't get the expected results...

I know the interface works, because I can hear it switch the messenger hub off and on just fine (it's set to a different unit code).

What am I misunderstanding?
              What exactly happens that's not what you expected?

I'm using a freewire setup with the messenger hub installed, and HS does a fine job of controlling everything. I'm using a TW523 X10 controller through a Stargate, but I can't see that making a difference.

Comment

Guys, I was going to get a few of these for Chirstmas lighting, however, Smarthome no longer sells the messenger hub needed to program 'em. Any work-arounds?

Are there any alternatives for outdoor X-10 modules?

I'm going to check a few more sites.
                John
                Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

I've found the messenger hub for sale without the remote for a good price. I've also found a few Amazon partner sites that sell starter kits (hub, remote, 1 indoor and 2 outdoor lamp mods) for about $50... not bad, since the 2 mods alone would cost $40 total elsewhere.

How many strings of lights (normal minis, not LED) have y'all successfully put on one module?

After some searching, I've seen the Z-wave options out their, but don't want the start-up cost at this time. I'd use regular timers insted, or go back to the ziplocked appliance modules I've used in previous years.

Thanks!
                  John
                  Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                  Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                  HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                  Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

Programming the Outdoor Module

The Black & Decker 500-Watt Outdoor Lamp Module is easy to set up and use, programming without awkward code wheels. Follow the instructions that come with the Freewire controller to program it, or if you're using an X10 controller to set up and control the module, press the controller's ON button four times for the device code you want to set the module to. The red light on the module will blink once to acknowledge that programming is complete.

Comment

Programming the Outdoor Module - #2

Power it up and with in the first 30 seconds send the house/unit code 3 times and it should be reprogrammed.
                      Any X10 sender like a mini-controller or Telephone Transponder can also be used. All you need is the powerline signal 3 times in 30 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X