How would I have HS check..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I have HS check..

On a seperate Win 2K server hosting 3 different sites and an email server?
    For a while there, there were a couple flaky things going on and I would like to know if either the IIS portion flops on it's face or the email prog stops running.

The email program piggybacks one of the sites so I can get the email via web. The problem I was having was the IIS would seemingly freeze, but the mail portion could still receive mail. This all started after I loaded a M$ patch. Oddly, it would take just about 24 hours to show itself and then over night it would capsize the IIS web portion, and the box ran fine otherwise. I would like to have some sort of warning that there is an issue. I'm currently using UltraMon - but that is pinging the box, and would not have alerted me to any trouble.

If I try to ping the website name from my HS box - destination not reachable and if I do the IP:PORT - Request times out.

Is there any client software to run on the WebServer and pass to the HS box ??

Thanks in advance.

If I am understanding what you want to do the IIS sites should be pretty easy to monitor in a script. Something like this should work.

Create a statuspage.htm on each website you want to monitor that returns nothing but the text "ok" w/o quotes.

Then setup a recurring event that runs a script like this.

Code:

sub main
    dim page
    page = hs.GetURL("yourwebserver.com","/website1/statuspage.htm",TRUE,80)
    if trim(page) <> "ok" then hs.triggerevent("ALERT yourself there was a problem event")
    end sub
    Keep in mind this is untested code but should get you on the right track.

Matt

Comment

thank Matt -- I'll give that a shot today...

Comment

Working...
      X